Thread: DFR v8 client and DFR v8.1 client

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Beech Hill - a village near Reading in the UK

Default DFR v8 client and DFR v8.1 client

Hi (mainly to Vincent! )

I've got a situation where I'm writing a new system for a client who has an existing, older DF system. The old system uses DFR v8. The new one uses DFR v8.1.

Both DFR installations sit OK side-by-side on the server and their reports work fine on that.

However on their workstations the new system's reports are not working, giving the dreaded "Unable to instanciate COM object" error:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 18.16.23.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	15797

To do the workstation installs, I had them run a script on the workstations to install DF (v20.1) and DFR (v8.1):

Code:
    echo off
    echo Installing the DataFlex runtime client...
    "\\ISW-OW-01\Phoenix\DataFlex2022\DataFlex 2022 Client 20.1.34.78.exe" /exenoui /qn

echo Installing the DataFlex Reports runtime client...
    "\\ISW-OW-01\Phoenix\DataFlex2022\DataFlex Reports Runtime 8.1 64 bit.exe" /exenoui /qn OVERWRITE=1

echo Copying Phoenix Shortcut...
    copy "\\ISW-OW-01\Phoenix\DataFlex2022\Phoenix.lnk" "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\Desktop"

Pause
    And they tell me it threw up no errors. Trying to the DFR part again (just double clisking on "DataFlex Reports Runtime 8.1 64 bit.exe" in File Explorer) tells me it is already installed and only offers the "Modify, Repair, Remove" options.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 10.50.05.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	15798

So, what gives? How do I fix the problem?

TIA

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Peat; 30-Nov-2022 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Spell Vincent correctly!