I was trying to export the images from a signature field where the data is stored in base64, and comes from Harm's wrapper of the signaturepad js control. The export worked in about 70% of the cases, but created invalid images for the rest.

here's the code.

Code:

Procedure OnProcess
        String sFilePNG 
        String SfileJpg
        String sImage
        UChar[] uImage 
        Integer iPixel
        Integer iPixels  
        Integer iResult
        Pointer pImage

String sMYSQL
        Integer iClients 
        Integer iRow  
        String[][] sData 
             Set_Argument_Size 512000
            Move "Select ID, Foo, Bar, Name,Zip,paytype,telephone,email,parid,((signature)) from tClients where rollYr = 2021 and (len(trim(signature)) > 15) and Name like '%MULLA%'" to sMySQL
                    Get SQLItems of ghoSQLHelper sMySQL to sData
                    Move (SizeOfArray(sData) -1) to iClients 
                    Move 0 to iPixels 
                    For iRow from 0 to iClients
                        Move (SFormat("binary: c:\temp\si\AA%1.png",trim(sData[iRow][8]))) to sFilePNG
                        Direct_Output channel 5    sFilePNG
                            Move (Right(sData[iRow][9],(Length(sData[iRow][9]) -22))) to sImage 
                            Move (Base64DecodeFromStr(oCharTranslate,sImage,(&iPixels))) to pImage 
                            Move (ResizeArray (uImage, iPixels +1, 0)) to uImage
                            Move (Memcopy (AddressOf (uImage), pImage, iPixels)) to iResult
                            Write channel 5 uImage
                        Close_Output channel 5 
                    Loop
    End_Procedure
On the red line, I added a breakpoint and added (Length(sData[iRow][9])) to the watch list.

Hey why is the length of the field 15999 ?

I checked in the database through MSSQL Management Studio. Max actually used length is 25,000, in a nVarChar(max) field

What could be limiting this to 16K ? It's not Argument Size, it's not the INT file. I stepped through the entire rabbit hole that is behind SQLExecDirect and eventually found this gem:

Code:
  // Max size of buffer for variable length data. Default 16000      Property Integer piMaxVariableBufferLength 16000
What this code does is SILENTLY truncate data which is longer than the "piMaxVariableBufferLength" and DOES NOT THROW AN ERROR WHILE IT DOES IT.

Now, I can see that back in the day 16K was a lot of data to store in a field, but it this day and age, not so much.

May I suggest:
- Retrieve up to ONE BYTE MORE than the max buffer, and if the data returned is all of that buffer, an error be thrown.

Or at least the default be made more obvious (16666) bytes or better yet remove the limit.