Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow connection to SQL Server

Default Slow connection to SQL Server

Df19.158
    SQL Express 2012 hosted internally
    Two different Windows Application accessing different databases on the same server and also hosted internally

Hi,

We have started experiencing a very sluggish performance on our system. When we load the windows application and the user enters the login name and password, it takes approx 20 seconds to show the application. Reports and processes have also become very slow. Accessing data through Management studio is not slow when compared to the windows application.

When I login, the login date and time are immediately updated in the user record. So, I don't think it is taking long to establish the connection. I have also rebuilt all the indexes.

The only change in the architecture was the installation of a new firewall and as far as I am aware, the firewall should not effect the internal access to the db.

Accessing the data through a web service is fast.

Any ideas on what else we can check?

TIA
    Last edited by jcachia; 3-May-2021 at 07:29 AM.

Default Re: Slow connection to SQL Server

Hi, when i'm in trouble with slow performance i check
    1) Antivirus ( exclusions of all DF folder)
    2) Delete all CCH files
    3) Verify port used by SQL and settings of Firewall

if not happens, i call the systemist (and his answer is that it is the software's fault )

AnnaM

Accessing the data through a web service is fast.
    DF web-service or other kind ?

If DF, is it from the same workspace as frm the windows apps that are taking long to start-up , or from different workspace ?

----
    As general guidelines to improve windows APP startup time, I recommend enabling Deferred state as much as possible in your views/dialogs..
    Samuel Pizarro

Hi Anna,

Antivirus is excluded and ports+firewall settings seems to be ok.

Re CCH files - if I delete them, will these be recreated?

re this - if not happens, i call the systemist (and his answer is that it is the software's fault
    ) - he is a member of this forum too..so ..

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaM View Post
    Hi, when i'm in trouble with slow performance i check
    1) Antivirus ( exclusions of all DF folder)
    2) Delete all CCH files
    3) Verify port used by SQL and settings of Firewall

if not happens, i call the systemist (and his answer is that it is the software's fault )

AnnaM

Hi Samuel,

The Web service is DF but accessed from a different workspace.
    I agree with you as I think there might be a lot of views bot setup as deferred. However one of the applications is very small, only a handful of views and still encountering sluggish performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Pizarro View Post
    DF web-service or other kind ?

If DF, is it from the same workspace as frm the windows apps that are taking long to start-up , or from different workspace ?

----
    As general guidelines to improve windows APP startup time, I recommend enabling Deferred state as much as possible in your views/dialogs..

the bad performance is to open the application ? or when you try to activate some views ?

if the 2nd,, it's probably a bad constrain, not being optimized (index for sorting the grid, not matching with the constraint logic)
    Samuel Pizarro

Is it a Virtual Server by chance?

The bad performance is effecting everything. When I open the application the system sets up the user menu by going through all the user menu records and this is where it slows down at first. This hasn't been amended for ages.

But the performance is felt in all views. An end of day process which usually takes 2-3 minutes is taking over 20 minutes now.

One of the applications haven't been compiled for almost a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Pizarro View Post
    the bad performance is to open the application ? or when you try to activate some views ?

if the 2nd,, it's probably a bad constrain, not being optimized (index for sorting the grid, not matching with the constraint logic)

Hi Mike,

Yes it it. We had the virtual machine queue which was enabled. We disabled it but saw no immediate effect however we will be rebooting the server later on this evening.

We have recently upgraded our firewall but it "shouldn't" effect as this is all accessed internally.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cooper View Post
    Is it a Virtual Server by chance?

have you checked for bad NICs or network errors/retries ?

check either on both ends, and also on all network devices between them .
    Samuel Pizarro