Thread: Looking for Help with MySQL 5.6 Upgrade to Version 8

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Looking for Help with MySQL 5.6 Upgrade to Version 8

Hi,

None of this is DataFlex specific I think?

Windows or Linux?

Last time I ran mySQL on Windows is 15 years ago so .... of course it has a lot of similarities, but it does mean that there's a little extra time lost on things like locating where all the files are on a windows host. My WordPress installs are all still on mySQL 5.7, not on 8.0

Basically you would make a backup of all the databases, then upgrade mySQL.
    Note that you'll have to go in steps, first upgrade to 5.7 then to 8.0.
    Directly upgrading from 5.6 to 8.0 is not supported and will result in problems.

After the 5.7 upgrade look at the database and upgrade any myISAM tables to InnoDB. This is fairly easy to do if you have phpMyAdmin running.
    Troubleshoot any problems afterwards.
    If nothing helps... restore the backup to your mySQL 8 setup.

In regards to WordPress I have seen that some plugins depend on older mySQL defaults and as such had to make some tweaks to the mySQL config.
    Note that if WordPress stops working that you should first disable all plugins as the culprit is most likely going to be a problem down there.
    There's also a chance that you end up having problems with the user connecting to WordPress due to defaults having changed there.

Also note that if you want to upgrade PHP as well that you better do this in steps and not upgrade both PHP and mySQL at the same time.

But it is strongly recommended to at least use a supported version of PHP (aka. minimal PHP 7.3) before even starting the upgrade of mySQL.

edit: Of course you also need a fairly recent version of WordPress, if you are running an old version then that might be your first thing to upgrade.

Good luck!
    --
    Wil
    Last edited by wila; 7-Apr-2021 at 04:31 PM.