Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DF20 library?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default DF20 library?

Hi,

As one might expect... I have a question.

Is an update of this security library in the works?

It would be nice if we could use this on DataFlex 2021 as well.

--
    Wil

Default Re: DF20 library?

there is a slightly modified one in PLATO, and I'm fairly sure there will be a proper release too.

/MM
    Michael Mullan.
    Danes Bridge Enterprises.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    There is just today. Tomorrow is a concept
    that is mostly theoretical. -- GM Wylie

It feels a bit more than "slightly modified".
    Currently working for transXpro (an online platform for a Swiss translation agency).
    Improved (unofficial) DataFlex Forum Search (now with SSL)

The one that will accompany the next version of Plato will be one step newer than currently is the case.

Like Michael, I expect a seperate release of the security library.

I cannot attest to the degree of modifiedness since I have only ever used this one.

-Sture

OK, looked at the SecMod library in Plato.

It is a completely different library.
    Might have a few small things that are the same or similar, but it does not come close to what I need for things like being able to use google authenticator for 2 factor authentication.

So, I'm sorry, but that's not the answer right now.
    --
    Wil

so, what is this other security Library of which you speak?

I thought SecMod was it, and the version in PLATO was very much similar to the released one. I guess I'm missing Something?
    Michael Mullan.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mullan View Post
    so, what is this other security Library of which you speak?

I thought SecMod was it, and the version in PLATO was very much similar to the released one. I guess I'm missing Something?
    ???

SecMod appears to be the old cryptography package with a DataFlex example on how you can implement a -rather basic- RBAC (no offense intended, I think it can be useful for some applications).
    I need to investigate more to say something more about it, so far I only briefly checked if it could replace the security library that we use.

The DataFlex Security Library is the forum you are in... https://support.dataaccess.com/Forum...?63166-Welcome!
    It is so vastly different that I am not even sure where to start.
    It has a lot of low level primitives, it provides wrappers around things like CNG and libsodium.
    It has several 2 factor implementations in there TOTP/HOTP/FIDO U2F, it has web wrappers for a QR code control and taking care of most of the 2 factor work flow.

There is no comparison IMO beyond that they both deal with security.

--
    Wil

Ah I see,

I think that SecMod may be a subset of the whole security library, with some examples baked in.
    Michael Mullan.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mullan View Post
    Ah I see,

I think that SecMod may be a subset of the whole security library, with some examples baked in.
    It has an entirely different bases (DAW cryptographer2 classes versus CNG/LibSodium), but yes that would be a way to look at it.

FWIW I see now that the cryptographer2 class is NOT just a new version of the old DAW cryptographer class, but it also doesn't appear to be based on CNG/LibSodium either. They are not very comparable except that they have a few matching cryptographic algorithms.

For the moment I prefer the CNG/LibSodium library.

--
    Wil
    Last edited by wila; 29-Mar-2021 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wila View Post
    SecMod appears to be the old cryptography package with a DataFlex example on how you can implement a -rather basic- RBAC (no offense intended, I think it can be useful for some applications).
    Sigh... very poor phrasing on my end.

First off, it isn't the old cryptographer package, it is a new one with a similar name.

Second the part - rather basic - ... I should have just said "it is an example of how you can implement an RBAC security model", without the - rather basic part.

Is it basic?
    That depends on how you look at it.

We don't have much public examples of this in DataFlex right now and now we have one.
    It has some nice features that you can easily set with a few properties.
    So from a DataFlex view point.. we have something much more advanced than we ever had, not basic at all.
    I'm sure it took a lot of efforts to get where it is at right now.

Looking at it from outside of the DataFlex world. Then yes, it is basic. Look at Active Directory or Azure RBAC (and a whole bunch of others)
    There is no comparison.

Now why was I surprised by the answer --> look at SecMod in Plato

SecMod is an RBAC implementation with yet another package for the security part, it is a completely different thing.
    Not everyone needs an RBAC, not every existing RBAC fits in this particular implementation.

I really really hope that the security library that this forum was for here has not gone the way of the dodo as it serves a completely different purpose.
    To be frank I'm a bit surprised that it wasn't used as the bases for the SecMod library.
    --
    Wil

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast