Thread: Ugh -- same thing AGAIN! Administrator rights required! What is going on?!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ugh -- same thing AGAIN! Administrator rights required! What is going on?!

OK -- this is the THIRD time I have had problems with Dataflex and Windows 10. I have no idea why this continues to be a problem, but it is incredibly frustrating!

• I am running DF as "Administrator".
    • I am trying to change the name of a column from "Address" to "Address1".
    • There is no other program running -- there is NO chance for a sharing violation.

HELP!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Administrator.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	227.8 KB 
ID:	13730

Default Re: Ugh -- same thing AGAIN! Administrator rights required! What is going on?!

I don't know... I tried to change the name of the file in the folder from xxxxx.dat to xxxxx.dat2 and it didn't like that either.

It gave me an error that IIS.EXE was using the file.

How do I stop / start IIS? Maybe that's what I really need to do here!

Default Re: Ugh -- same thing AGAIN! Administrator rights required! What is going on?!

Hi Guy,

Select 'project properties' from the 'Project' menu.

In the 'Web application' tab check the 'Disable Web Application' checkbox.

Read all about why that works here: https://docs.dataaccess.com/dataflex...pplication.htm

-Sture

Thank you! That worked!

Then Samuels suggestion works too. Because they are exactly the same :-)

-Sture

When working on webapp projects, your webapp is running in background. you have to stop it if you plan to perform tables modification that requires exclusive access.

Launch WebApp Adminstrator, from Tools menu, and stop the service for your webapp.
    Samuel Pizarro

A few items...

1. This had nothing to do with running with administrative rights (terminology overload because it was telling you to use the webapp administrator to stop the webapp)
    2. There is no need to run the Studio with elevated rights (as administrator) - in fact, it's a really bad idea to do so because you could be courting problems with virtualization of files and registry entries.
    3. As others have mentioned, if you are going to be making any changes to the underlying database, you must stop the webapp first because webapps always keep tables open and the Studio needs to open tables exclusively to make changes.
    Best regards,

-SWM-

Hello 'the Guy'

What DB are you using? This 'problem' occurs regularly when using the Dataflex-DB.

Suggesting: convert your app to a SQL-DB. MySQL is a good option today. Free.
    In this new situation this 'problem' only occurs rarely.

Roel Westhoff
    W4 Software & Consultancy BV
    Netherlands,
    E: roel.westhoff@w4sc.nl