Having retired last year and closed down my business after 30 years of developing in-house and commercial DF/VDF applications in pretty well all releases up to 17.1, my first thought when I decided to put together a database for use by myself and a handful of fellow amateur aviation hobbyists/researchers was to take a look at 19.1.

It’s not intended as a commercial application – we’re all retired - and DataFlex Personal looked like it would be perfect for our purpose. We particularly liked the fact that it allows development of both Windows and web applications (provided they are non-commercial), making collaboration between members of our private group much easier.

DataFlex Personal and IIS were duly installed on my PC along with a simple, single-screen web application to allow my fellow hobbyists to view and edit the database.

That has been working well until today, when the web app server service failed to load, with an error message pointing to the Windows event log, which in turn advised that my evaluation period (?) of Web App Server has expired.

While I appreciate that installing DataFlex Personal without a registration code defaults to a 60-day evaluation licence, I assume that installation with a Personal licence (valid for creating non-commercial Windows and web applications, renewable annually) should not be producing "evaluation period expired" errors.

As a workaround, I can run the web application in the debugger and it will still function, but that’s not a very elegant solution for the long term

What do I need to do to restore web app functionality for my non-commercial application during the remainder of my one-year licence?

Dave Reid
Reading, UK