Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows server 2019 RemoteAPP splash screen stuck

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Windows server 2019 RemoteAPP splash screen stuck

Hello,
    I have recently migrated a Dataflex 19.0 Windows application from an old Windows Server 2012 to a new Windows Server 2019. In both servers the application is deployed to the clients as Remote App through the Remote Desktop Services.

When the application is executed on clients as RemoteApp pointed to the new Windows server 2019, the splash screen (SplashScreenPanel) still remain visible even if it is closed. On the old 2012 server the splash screen disappears correctly.

The PIC1 shows the splash screen on Windows 10 client that is still visible even if it has been closed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC1 - Spash screen It appears even if it has been closed.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	13583

In PIC2 seems that the splash screen is also able to take the focus ... but it is impossible because it is closed

Name:	PIC2 - Seems to take the focus but it is a ghost.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	13584

PIC3 shows the same application executed direct on server, the same Windows 2019 server. The visualization in this case is correct: the splash screen is not visible.

Name:	PIC3 - Exec on server is correct.png 
Views:	310 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	13586

I found other forums with the same problem like this, but no at the moment no solution.

I have installations of my DF win apps on Windows Server 2008, 2012 and 2016 and the RemoteApp works correct. The problem appears on Windows Server 2019; I have also reproduced the problem on a couple of virtual machines.

Has anyone a similar experience of Dataflex applications deployed through RemoteApp on Windows Server 2019?

Thank you, regards
    Luca
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC3 - Exec on server is correct.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	246.2 KB 
ID:	13585  

Default Re: Windows server 2019 RemoteAPP splash screen stuck

Hi Luca,

Not sure why it is happening, but I have (a long time ago) in the past seen problems with splash screens and RDC connections.

What happens if you send Destroy to the splash screen instead of Defactivate?
    Nils Svedmyr
    RDC Tools International
    www.rdctools.com

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Nils G. Svedmyr View Post
    Hi Luca,

Not sure why it is happening, but I have (a long time ago) in the past seen problems with splash screens and RDC connections.

What happens if you send Destroy to the splash screen instead of Defactivate?
    Hi Nils,
    thank you for your suggestion. Nothing has changed: the splash is still visible. The same thing happens also with Crystal report dialogs "Printing document ..." that appears when crystal sends the report to the printer.

Might it be a Windows painting issue? What I mean is that if you destroy the object it can't be any more, so it might be Windows that fails in re-painting the screen?

What happens if you send "Page False" and then destroy the object? Any difference?
    Nils Svedmyr
    RDC Tools International
    www.rdctools.com

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
    Groucho Marx

Might it be a Windows painting issue? What I mean is that if you destroy the object it can't be any more, so it might be Windows that fails in re-painting the screen?

What happens if you send "Page False" and then destroy the object? Any difference?
    No, no difference. I implemented your suggestion in this way. Is it what you mean? Thank you

Procedure CloseSplashScreen Handle hoSplashScreen
    Get phoSplashScreen to hoSplashScreen
    If (hoSplashScreen<>0) Begin
    //Send Deactivate of hoSplashScreen
    Send Page False
    Send Destroy of hoSplashScreen
    End
    End_Procedure

Yup, that is exactly what I meant. Then I don't think there is much we can do (from the DataFlex side). It is probably a Windows painting issue, as the object has been destroyed.

Q: Does your application take a long time to load? Nowadays with SSD disks etc. most applications load pretty fast reducing the usage for splash screens. I understand there might be other reasons behind using splash screens but as there seems to be a Windows bug, it might be worth considering to remove the splash screen. At least until Microsoft has fixed the bug.
    Nils Svedmyr
    RDC Tools International
    www.rdctools.com

Groucho Marx

Yup, that is exactly what I meant. Then I don't think there is much we can do (from the DataFlex side). It is probably a Windows painting issue, as the object has been destroyed.
    Yes, I think like you that is Windows side. I was curious to know if someone has discovered a magic registry key or a group policy to set :-)

Q: Does your application take a long time to load? Nowadays with SSD disks etc. most applications load pretty fast reducing the usage for splash screens. I understand there might be other reasons behind using splash screens but as there seems to be a Windows bug, it might be worth considering to remove the splash screen. At least until Microsoft has fixed the bug.
    Yes, the splash screen is not a problem also if the application is big (20MB exe), but the Crystal Report print dialogs are a problem: they remain visible and keep the Remote Desktop client application open on client: that is not good for users.

Hi DataAccess, the dbExplorer is written in Dataflex? If yes did you use a SplashScreenPanel class to create the splashscreen that is visible when the runtime is still in evaluation mode?

When running in eval mode, the splash screen is controlled by the eval software, not a DataFlex splash screen.
    Best regards,

-SWM-

Database Explorer is written in DataFlex.

We stopped the use of a splashscreen a long time ago as the tool with current hardware starts so quickly that showing a private splashscreen made no sense anymore.

The orange splashscreen you see comes from DataFlex itself.
    Regards,
    Data Access Worldwide
    Vincent Oorsprong