Thread: How to set up different users in EC2 t2.micro?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How to set up different users in EC2 t2.micro?

Ok -- I have one instance of AWS EC2 up and running. I have installed my software, and it appears to run with no issues! However, my software executes a "Get_Environment "USERNAME" to sUser" command to keep track of which users are doing what (and saves that information to a "HISTORY" database)…

My problem is that AWS seems to require all users log in as ADMINISTRATOR. How do I change this?

I want my user names to be "GUY", "AMBER", and "BRIAN".

I've come a long way in the AWS world in the last 2 days -- but this username thing is boggling my mind...

Beech Hill - a village near Reading in the UK

Default Re: How to set up different users in EC2 t2.micro?

Guy

Yes, that does seem to be a problem (I've just tried). It looks as though you can only login as an administrator, so you will have to make GUY, AMBER and BRIAN administrator accounts.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peat View Post
    ...so you will have to make GUY, AMBER and BRIAN administrator accounts.
    OK -- how do I accomplish that?

Guy - I'm no expert and not the right person to be giving instruction... however:

To create: Start Menu --> Control Panel --> User Accounts (change "View by" to "Small Icons" if this is not obvious) --> Manage Another Account --> Add a user account.

To make administrator: Start Menu --> Control Panel --> User Accounts --> Manage Another Account --> {select account} --> Change the account type --> Administrator

Mike
    (PS - You should probably be learning about using MS operating systems in their environment, rather than a DataFlex one. )

Yeah -- I already set up users in Windows. The larger problem is when I click on "Connect" in AWS, it creates a login for ADMINISTRATOR, and only ADMINISTRATOR. There does not seem to be a way to select Amber, Brian, or Guy...

Guy

You can connect to the users you set up using RDP (Remote Desktop) and the passwords you set up for them (but it seems only if they are set up as administrators), at least that is my experience.

You don't have to use AWS to connect - in fact that doesn't have to be involved at all.

Run Remote Desktop; in the "Computer" box enter the IPv4 Public IP address; expand the "Options" section and enter the user-name you require; click connect. You should be prompted for the password. You'll probably have to confirm you want to connect even although the certificate can't be verified.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Peat; 23-Mar-2020 at 12:28 PM.

I've done this recently, the exact same thing that you need.

In addition to what Mike says when setting up a new remote desktop connection, is that the .rdp file you probably downloaded from AWS is just a text file. Open it in e.g. Notepad++ and use the info when you create the new RDC connection.

In short copy the "full address" after the last ":" from the .rdp file and paste it t the "Computer" name field in the RDC dialog. You then have to click the "edit" link, then "More choices" and then "Use a different account". Now you can enter the user name and pw you created at the AWS server.

Hopefully that will work for you. Good luck.
    Nils Svedmyr
    RDC Tools International
    www.rdctools.com

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
    Groucho Marx