Thread: DB2_DRV not loading anymore - 16.1

Default DB2_DRV not loading anymore - 16.1

Hi everyone!

I'm using Visual Dataflex Studio 16.1 with a local DB2 database, and it was working for some time.
    However, today it stopped being able to load the DB2_DRV.

I'm doing this on my home machine, since in the next few weeks our company may have us working remote due to the corona virus.
    Today, I was able to restore our local test database from a backup (after struggling with a pending rollforward) and it's working fine from the command line.
    I don't know if restoring a database can have some influence on the driver behavior?

Here's what I've tried so far.

1) Creating a new workspace.
    2) Running the studio as administrador, but no luck there either.
    3) Checking the DB2_DRV.INT file to see if the DSN name on the DFConnectionID matched my database name.
    4) Restarted my PC and tried the steps above again.

Any idea what might be causing this? Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.png 
Views:	336 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	13535

Default Re: DB2_DRV not loading anymore - 16.1

Hi Clodoaldo

I once faced an issue with db2 on windows where the cli/odbc driver layer became "corrupted" and not working. Its not a DF issue. But something went wrong with db2 CLI/ODBC 32bit drivers in a 64bit windows.

You can check if this is case, by trying to add an ODBC 32bit DSN entry for you db2 db, using windows ODBC 32 bit administrator.

When you open the "System DSN" tab, in order to create the db2 dsn, windows will show an error, saying you dont have admin privileges, even you having it. (running as adminstrator). Please try that and see what happens.

If this is the case,, To make the history short.. there is no workaround, even uninstalling and re-installing db2 does not work. I have spent more than 3 weeks trying to over come this, and sadly to say.. I had to reinstall windows and start over.
    But I did not had a recent windows checkpoint created. so I could use none to restore the system to a previous checkpoint state to test. If you do have, you could try it.

Good luck
    Samuel Pizarro

Hi, Samuel.

The error with OBDC Administrator did happen at first, when I was trying to setup a OBDC connection since the DB2_DRV wasn't working, but now the error doesn't happen anymore.
    I had this same problem a couple months ago, but I don't know how I fixed. I think I just reinstalled the Studio using another license provided by my company, but I'm not sure.
    I've installed the 19.1 version, and the DB2_DRV worked with no problems.

Anyway, I'm setting up a VM on VirtualBox and will try to install the DB2 server and 16.1 Studio there. Let's see how it goes.

Update: just ended up reinstalling Windows. Now I'm using another tool to save a image from my disk, as well as creating restore points once a week.

yeah... unfortunately that was what I had to do as well. by the way, what db2 version are you using ?
    Samuel Pizarro

We use DriveSnapshot (http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/down.htm) and it helped me once to restore the whole computer to a point before a Microsoft bug caused a lot of trouble. I make snapshots each day (takes < 30 minutes).
    Regards,
    Data Access Worldwide
    Vincent Oorsprong

nice... good to know..

thanks for sharing.
    Samuel Pizarro

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Pizarro View Post
    yeah... unfortunately that was what I had to do as well. by the way, what db2 version are you using ?
    I'm using version 11.1 , 64 bits.
    And for the disk images I'm using the free version of Macrium Reflect; still have to test if the created image really works for restoring Windows though.

Hum. I never had problem with v11.1. But faced this issue with 10.1 and 10.5 releases.

And I am bot really sure if the issue is on windows or with db2 client/drivers. My suspicious is that this is a windows thing.
    In my tests I remember that all 32bit drivers stopped working, not only db2 ones.

But in other hand I must confess that I only have seem this being reported by db2 users. So maybe db2 installers triggers something.

I hope we get away from this, with df 64bit.
    Regards
    Samuel Pizarro

Check the length of your windows PATH environment variable.
    If it gets too long (if I remember correct, above 2048) it can cause database drivers not to load.
    This should be solved in DataFlex 19.1
    Best regards,
    Data Access Worldwide

Martin Moleman