Thread: Prompt button on non-indexed field

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Prompt button on non-indexed field

I can't be the only one who wants to do this, but I can't find a way to do it...
    I want to be able to use either an #OnSetCalculatedValue# form or a user-meaningful but not necessarily indexed field to call a select view to attach/change whatever a selected record.

Lets say I have a People table and a Position table. The people table has a FK to Position, but in my interface I just want to show Position.Description to the user, because a random ID isn't especially meaningful, and other, more user-friendly data could be using that space.

So I want to make the prompt fire from the form bound to Position.Description.

I can use pbPrompt to draw the button, but because the view has the Main_DD set to Person_DD it doesn't seem to be possible to make Position fields enabled. So I can't even test the prompt button!

Anybody able to point me to the right part of the help documentation for this? Surely I'm not the only one who wants to do it...

Basically like cWebParentCombo except where you could do things like apply filters to the select list, and useful for large lists (it sucks as a user to be presented with a combo form with 20 options...)
    Last edited by IsaacReefman; 16-Feb-2020 at 11:41 PM.