Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Developer/Project Leader Available

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Somewhere in Vermont, USA - unless I'm not

Default Developer/Project Leader Available

Long-time DF Developer seeking new work, preferably remote, as I love where I live. I’m certainly happy to travel as needed though.

I’ve been working with DF since version 1.1, so I do have some experience with the language.

Over the years I have worked on systems for many industries, however my main focus has been manufacturing and automotive. These systems have been both small and large – from a family run auto parts store up to a 3/4 billion/year manufacturing company. I have also worked on legal, travel, and various sales systems. I mostly work with SQL databases – particularly MS SQL and MySQL, though my smaller systems still use the embedded DB.

My expertise is in Windows development, though I’ve created many web services & interfaces to external software. While able and willing to work on my own on smaller systems/projects, I have years of experience as a project leader, working with company and external developers to implement and support large systems. No developer can know it all – so I’ve found it works well to bring in developers with differing areas of expertise as needed: Web, SQL, .Net, etc. Doing so also means greater flexibility: bring in someone for a project, but not have to pay them full time.

I & the teams I’ve worked with have converted many character mode DF systems to Windows – truly converting them to Windows applications, not just mirrors of a CM system with a prettier interface. The user interface is, in my opinion, second in importance only to reliability – so I focus on developing user-friendly systems that do not intimidate the people who have to use it.

If you could use someone like this or would like more information, please contact me through the forum’s email link & we can continue the conversation via email, Skype, phone, or in person.
    Garret

Time for an oldie but goodie:

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Default Re: Developer/Project Leader Available

Since things have changed rather significantly in recent weeks, I thought I'd update this post with a reiteration of my experience at working remotely. I have the experience & wherewithal to make working remotely successful.

I'll add that I hope anyone looking at this is well & maintaining "correct" social distancing!
    Garret

Quote Originally Posted by Garret Mott View Post
    Since things have changed rather significantly in recent weeks, I thought I'd update this post with a reiteration of my experience at working remotely. I have the experience & wherewithal to make working remotely successful.

I'll add that I hope anyone looking at this is well & maintaining "correct" social distancing!
    As someone who has worked with Garret in the past I can confirm that working for him is a pleasure and that he is very capable.
    Both as a developer as well as in the Project Leader role. He knows how to enable developers and how-to "get the job done".

--
    Wil

I’ve had the same experience with Garret
    Bob Worsley
    203-249-2633
    rlworsley at gmail.com

Do or do not. There is no try. — Yoda

Hello again!

First off, while I thanked both Wil & Bob privately, I should do so publicly! Your kind words are much appreciated.

I'm still looking. While I do have work currently, I'd love to find a client (or clients) who can use my talents to help build a capable user-friendly system.

I realize on-site visits are unlikely in this day and age, so I’m happy to Skype, Zoom, or whatever. Working remotely is something I’ve done for many years.

Thanks & I hope you all have as good a holiday season as we can this year!
    Garret

He's back...

Once again, while I do still have work, I'd like to find new opportunities.

I have had my shots and, if needed, will be able to travel starting in May.

Thanks and stay well!
    Garret

Confirming Wil and Bob. Top notch ! Highly recommended !
    Chuck Atkinson

"No matter how confounding the case, Bob Worsley always finds the quaesitum."

Fifth time’s the charm?

My main customer told me yesterday that, as of tomorrow, they will no longer be doing any new work or even bug fixes that “can be worked around”. They are ditching DataFlex and going with a semi-custom system that they now say will be in place soon. While I knew this was coming at some point, this announcement was a complete surprise, as I had expected at least some warning.

There are a few items in the development area finishing up testing, but I suddenly find myself with greatly reduced work: a 5 year average of 30-35 hours per week from this company will now be maybe 1 or 2.

So, my quest for new work has changed from “I’d like to find something in the next few months” to “I need to find something now”. While one person asked me to do a short project a couple of months ago & I had to say no because of time demands at that time, I am now interested in and available for all projects large or small.

Thanks!
    Garret

He's back...

Yet another customer is leaving DF - this time because they were bought & are being switched to the software the parent company uses. So - once again, I am looking for work.

Thanks!
    Garret

He's back once again. Just got done with a great (& challenging) project, but it's 99% complete (yes I know... and so I am again looking for some work. As before - remote preferred but happy to travel onsite every so often.

Thanks!
    Garret

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast