Thread: Extended Fields.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Extended Fields.

In the MSSQL DB there are extended fields. See Vincent's blog.

These are mad cool, and very useful, particularly in conjunction with "database Documentation tools" like THIS ONE.

the huge problem here is that when you use "structure start" and "structure End" to restructure the table, df Deletes the existing table and then re-creates it. In doing so, all the 'MS_Description' fields are lost. thus destroying all the hard work that went into documenting the DB in the first place.

Is there a way the CK can get smarter about extended table attributes, and not trash them when adding a new column?

/MM
    Michael Mullan.
    Danes Bridge Enterprises.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    There is just today. Tomorrow is a concept
    that is mostly theoretical. -- GM Wylie

Default Re: Extended Fields.

Michael,

I've entered this on your behalf in HDE.
    Regards,
    Data Access Worldwide
    Vincent Oorsprong

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mullan View Post
    In the MSSQL DB there are extended fields. See Vincent's blog.

These are mad cool, and very useful, particularly in conjunction with "database Documentation tools" like THIS ONE.

the huge problem here is that when you use "structure start" and "structure End" to restructure the table, df Deletes the existing table and then re-creates it. In doing so, all the 'MS_Description' fields are lost. thus destroying all the hard work that went into documenting the DB in the first place.

Is there a way the CK can get smarter about extended table attributes, and not trash them when adding a new column?

/MM
    Haven't made the jump to MSSQL yet, though we have most of the licences, but that doc tool looks crazy good. My biggest bugbear has always been the inability to add notes to a database in human-readable form. DD commentary is fine as far as it goes, but some things need expansion.
    I should be on a beach ...

I have an extension of what Vincent mentioned in the blog that is a DF treeview that shows all the tables, and all the fields in the filelist and allows the user to add field by field documentation very quickly. The tool I linked too turns that into documentation that the corporate types just love.

Getting it all deleted by a re-structure does dampen the enthusiasm somewhat though.

/MM
    Michael Mullan.
    Danes Bridge Enterprises.

There is just today. Tomorrow is a concept
    that is mostly theoretical. -- GM Wylie

Micheal,

Export it before the export and import in again. Possible a small addition to your tool.

Peter
    Peter H. van Wijk
    X-Sources International B.V.
    X-Organize Consultancy N.V.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    My biggest bugbear has always been the inability to add notes to a database in human-readable form. DD commentary is fine as far as it goes, but some things need expansion.
    On the other hand, you don't have this ability in the embedded database, either, so it shouldn't be something that keeps you from migrating.