Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drag and Drop with Web Grids

Question Drag and Drop with Web Grids

Does anyone have any advice, methods, techniques for drag and drop within or between web grids?
    We have been assured is is possible, but the help doesn't make it clear how you do it.

Regards
    Select

Default Re: Drag and Drop with Web Grids

This would be really nice, then we could have two lists/grids next to each other and the user could drag and drop elements from the left list to the right list and vice versa.
    Last edited by Waterhouse; 18-Dec-2019 at 02:50 AM.

This already has a nice spot on our wish list. I'll log this renewed request for this feature.

in general drag and drop should be something to look into. We have a number of custom controls and some of them do drag and drop and we had to fight DAWs drop target handler to make it work
    Michael Salzlechner
    StarZen Technologies, Inc
    http.://www.starzen.com

IT Director at Balloons Everywhere

Development Blog
    http://www.salzlechner.com/dev

DataFlex Package Manager (aka Nuget for DataFlex)
    http://windowsdeveloper.com/dfPackage

Quote Originally Posted by Harm Wibier View Post
    This already has a nice spot on our wish list. I'll log this renewed request for this feature.
    Thanks Harm!

We think we remember Nick demonstrating this working 2 years ago (ish?)
    - and said he developed it within a day with his limited programming skills (so anyone could do it)
    - was it a bit early to get us excited on this ?
    - or does he know something that we dont ?

Within a day you certainly can make something draggable, but designing and implementing a generic reusable drag 'n drop API for the web framework will take some more time. Sounds like what was shown is a custom control for a specific project and not a generic framework feature...

Thanks Harm!

It's good news we can make grids draggable on a project by project basis, could you offer any advice on the best way to do this?

Kind regards
    Select

Hi.

I've implemented a "DraggableWebList" (currently not open-source, but I can ask the client if that would be an option). It involved quite a bit of patching of the various (JavaScript) classes behind cWebList, which are currently not at all made with this possibility in mind. It's certainly doable now, but doing it right would involve some fundamental changes (to cWebList et al).

Grids are another thing. There's inheritance in play, but given that cWebList is actually 12 classes, I'm pretty sure the patches I've made for cWebList will not work with cWebGrid.

Also note that because draggability is not built-in or even considered in the current design, merely extending the public API was not enough in my implementation. I needed to patch internal/private API, which of course changes more frequently, so my current solution, which was originally made for 18.1 (I think) has broken with every release since then.

Thanks Jakob,

That does sound a bit daunting, we are hoping it can be done in a simpler way, that won't be destroyed by each update.
    The reply from Harm suggests that it can be done in around a day, so I would be interested to see what advice he can give to make things a bit easier.

Kind regards
    Select

My solution was also done in around a day. Sometimes "fast" does not equal "simple".

The first version I did of DraggableWebList was considerably simpler than the current one, because cWebList was considerably simpler then. Now cWebList supports things like infinite scroll, which just considerably complicates adding and removing items client-side. A "real" draggable solution would need to be incorporated into infinite scroll and several other features of a weblist, and that is probably not something that can be done in a day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast