Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Close File, Open File DAW, THIS IS NOW URGENT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Close File, Open File DAW, THIS IS NOW URGENT

Over the last few weeks, I have been posting about a problem on some Windows 10 computers when trying to access the Filelist.cfg, specifically to get_attribute DF_FILE_LOGICAL_NAME

https://support.dataaccess.com/Forum...979#post348979

Over the past few weeks I have started to get reports from other customers who are starting to experience this which is why I think that it is connected to a specific Windows update on Windows 10 computers

At the site where we first started to see this, I have gotten 3 reports of our program crashing for a part time person who comes in periodically to update some accounting details. It has always crashed in the same place, but it doesn't crash all of the time.

The spot that it crashes is where (for some reason) I close and then re-open a file

Code:
    Close GLTRANS
    Open GLTRANS
    I will bet dimes to donuts that this is related... AND a REAL BIG PROBLEM

Default Re: Close File, Open File DAW, THIS IS NOW URGENT

Mike,

We shouldn't assume anything from one is applicable to the other at this stage. it may lead us there or it may not; but making assumptions will only make the process take longer - trust me.

So, put aside the other situation and fully describe this situation (all the details) as if the other didn't exist and then we can walk through it. In particular, we need to try to find a pattern as to what happens differently in the times it does "crash" and the times it doesn't. Things to define further...

• What does "crash" mean? What errors happen? Is there anything in the event log?
    • Describe the complete application environment.
    • How may other users are there are they experiencing the issue as well?
      • If not, what's different in their use and/or machine profile?
      • If so, what's common in their use and/or machine profile?

Remember, correlation is not causation - it can be, but we have to dance the dance to determine if it is or isn't...
    Best regards,

-SWM-

Hi Stephen

I agree about making assumptions. BUT.. The timing seems to match. I do not often Close and Open files in an active session (I'm not even sure why I am doing that), but the behavior of not being able to properly interact with the Filelist (which likely happens during an Open statement) is exactly the issue with the Get_Attribute for the 3 attributes related to the Filelist.

The error reported from the client was
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Grasp Software Corporation\Visual Grasp 4\Programs\vgprog.exe
    Can't open table. Table = (null) (2)

Error: 75
    Error Source = API.Open

MSG_PPOST (19478) - oCommon (13094) - at address 495077
    MSG_ONCLICK (4641) - oPostBtn (13103) - at address 487408
    MSG_COMMAND (648) - oPostBtn (13103) - in native code
    [start] - at address 571509

The command on that line in debug is:

Code:
    Open GLTrans
    GLTrans is File #2 and the error says:
    "Can't open table. Table = (null) (2)" which I'm pretty sure means that the open statement was unable to retrieve the rootname from the filelist.

Dimes to donuts, it is the same error

Just checked on that workstation

Windows 10
    SMB1 disabled
    SMB2 enabled

Server = Windows 2019
    DF19.0 w MSSQL 2017 using DAW CK

how about making sure it is.

add a get_attribute before your open and log the result. Next time it crashes you know it was bad.

And i agree it seems likely that you are running into the same issue here but documenting it will make sure you are.
    Michael Salzlechner
    StarZen Technologies, Inc
    http.://www.starzen.com

IT Director at Balloons Everywhere

Development Blog
    http://www.salzlechner.com/dev

DataFlex Package Manager (aka Nuget for DataFlex)
    http://windowsdeveloper.com/dfPackage

Thanks Mike

My one customer where it is happening is interesting, because it is only happening on the Windows 10 workstations... and it only started about 3 or 4 weeks ago, which makes me think it is tied to a Windows update. He also has some Windows 7 workstations and they are running problem free.

Mike,

So if you are thinking it's the same thing, let's take it out of the context of your application and do this test...

• Take order and set it up as a test application on the same system
    • Add a button that closes and reopens one or more tables
    • Run it on one of the affected workstations
    • Walk away for x hours
    • Come back and press the button
    • Error or not?

Why have you do this first? Because you have the environment(s) where the behavior happens. If you can reproduce it with order then we can try to take order and reproduce it in a new environment.
    Best regards,

-SWM-

not sure if the issue s the opening and closing. His earlier issue is that DF seems to loose the ability to read filelist or loose the filelist data in memory somehow.

then of course an open command would fail.

This is another valid test of course but if the open/close action is not whats causing it but just a followup error on the actual issue it will not fail

we know his program fails to open a file at some point. We also know he has the issue of reading filelist values at times

i would verify that these two issues are the same by logging the filellist attributes on the open statement. if the attribute is blank and then the open fails then we know it is the same issue

as far as digging into whats going on once this is either confirmed or not will be more a DAW thing.
    if the filelist data is the issue then it depends on how that data is being handled in the runtime. Is it loaded once and kept in memory or is it being reloaded at certain times other than switching filelists, etc.
    Michael Salzlechner
    StarZen Technologies, Inc
    http.://www.starzen.com

IT Director at Balloons Everywhere

Development Blog
    http://www.salzlechner.com/dev

DataFlex Package Manager (aka Nuget for DataFlex)
    http://windowsdeveloper.com/dfPackage

Michael,

The specific expression is less important than taking it completely out of his application and reproducing it in the Order example. That has to be the next step...
    Best regards,

-SWM-

Hi Stephen... Yes I agree.

I was planning to build a test once I got back to Ontario and my main office (I am currently at my place in BC and have less resources here)... I am leaving on Tuesday (driving by car for 5 days). Once I found the work around for the Get_Attribute issue, I thought that I was out of the woods until I got back. It is interesting though, because in the last week, 3 more customers surfaced with printing issues related to the Get_Attribute problem. ... This is why I really think that it is related to a specific Windows update.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast