Thread: We can still use generate Crystal Reports up to Version 19.0 ??.... not in 19.1 and subsequent versions?

Default We can still use generate Crystal Reports up to Version 19.0 ??.... not in 19.1 and subsequent versions?

Hi all,

although this forum has the following statement:

"Until version 18.1, DataFlex used Crystal Reports' ActiveX interface to control and integrate the Crystal report engine into Windows applications. The use of Crystal Reports is unsupported in subsequent DataFlex revisions."

we can still use Dataflex 19.0 to send outputs to Crystal Report. So is 19.0 really the last Dataflex version to allow use of Crystal reports? How about 19.1 and 19.2?

"Object xxxxxx is a CrystalReport" is still working with 19.0 but we get the following message when used the same declaration in 19.1:
    "Type check error U_CRYSTALREPORT, MUST BE DEFINED"

Regards,
    Martin

Default Re: We can still use generate Crystal Reports up to Version 19.0 ??.... not in 19.1 and subsequent versions?

Martin,

There is no change between 19.0 and 19.1 in this area. The Crystal package files are still in the Pkg folder and is still "unsupported".

Just to verify, I migrated the 18.1 Order example to 19.1 and the various Crystal reports in that example compile and run fine.
    Best regards,

-SWM-

Somewhere in Vermont, USA - unless I'm not

Default Re: We can still use generate Crystal Reports up to Version 19.0 ??.... not in 19.1 and subsequent versions?

They will still work in later versions, as Stephen says. However, the wizard is gone - so you need to keep an earlier version around for that.
    Garret

Time for an oldie but goodie:

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Thanks guys... I found the issue, I have to put "Use CrystalReport.pkg" on the views... before in 19.0 and earlier it was not needed.

While Crystal Reports XI can still run with DataFlex 19.1, keep in mind that “XI” was released 15 years ago (2004) – it is really outdated technology that is unsupported by Data Access and the manufacturer. For developers/users that use MSSQL, CR XI does not know about the many database server specification changes or enhancements since 2004. Versions of Crystal delivered after XI, 1) do not contain an OCX or DLL that can be used to integrate reports with DataFlex applications and 2) do not have a driver for the DataFlex embedded database. On top of this, Crystal Reports XI is a 32 bit application and the next version of DataFlex is a 64 bit Unicode product. 64-bit applications such as NextGen DataFlex cannot use 32-bit OCXs like Crystal XI that work now with 32-bit DataFlex 19.1 or 32 bit DataFlex versions delivered in the future. But with Crystal XI’s obsolescence, known limitations and the fact that it will not run at all with 64-bit applications, we recommend starting the move from Crystal Reports XI to DataFlex Reports now acknowledging that the move can be a lot of work.

DataFlex Reports has been developed over the past 10 years to deliver most of the functionality DataFlex developers need. We are committed to continuously improving it and to delivering a 64-bit version of the product as well.
    Regards,
    Data Access Worldwide
    Vincent Oorsprong

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Oorsprong View Post
    acknowledging that the move can be a lot of work.
    And the Understatement of the Year award goes to Vincent!
    Michael Mullan.
    Danes Bridge Enterprises.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    There is just today. Tomorrow is a concept
    that is mostly theoretical. -- GM Wylie
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Can Crystal Reports work with Dataflex 20.0? Doesn't VDF have that feature?
    I have a problem. I use Dataflex Reports, but I can't justify the text using that tool.
    I need to generate an important contract, and it's necessary to justify the text.
    What can I do to solve that problem?

Somewhere in Vermont, USA - unless I'm not

Hi -

DF has not worked with Crystal for many versions (17.something I think?) as they only connected to CRXI, which is no longer supported *. If you are using MS SQL for a backend & use Mertech's driver, they have a product called Flex2Crystal that will let you run Crystal 2016.

In DataFlex Reports (DR), I have had to use images to display justified, partially bolded/underlined/italicized text. In my case it was similar to yours (I believe) where I had to display legalese exactly as the attorneys had written it. So, I put the contract in MS Word, bolded, etc. what was needed that way, then took a snip of that word document & put that image in the DR. Far from ideal & it does display less clearly than regular text, but it was deemed acceptable (but not wonderful) by the client.

* One can create RVs to connect to CRXI & run them in later versions, but the wizards are only in earlier versions. I have not tried any later than 19.0 - but it does "work".
    Garret

Time for an oldie but goodie:

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green