Thread: L&L Data Display

Default L&L Data Display

In a 19.0, L&L-23 application that I inherited I was asked to add a short listing of notes, 0 to maybe 3 or 4 records to an invoice - text fields. I added the DD which is constrained to the invoice and also a procedure that loops through the DD for any and all of these notes records. I added the notes field via the designer and when I run the report I only get the first record. If I watch the DD loop all records are being found but only the first one shows in the invoice and I've tried all of the tricks that I can think of to get the others to show. I'm using a paragraph to display the notes, could it be limiting the display to the 1 record?

Any ideas?
    Bob Worsley
    203-249-2633
    rlworsley at gmail.com

Do or do not. There is no try. — Yoda

Default Re: L&L Data Display

Hi Bob

A paragraph only can Report one Record, it is not designed to print repeating Data Records (like Invoice Lines). For that Purpose a Table must be used. If the Report is using a Report Container you can add a Table just before the existing Details Table in your Invoice. If no Report Container is used you will have to declare a Variable containing all the Notes append to another because in a Report without Report Container you can only have one Table.

HTH
    Bernhard

Thanks Bernhard, I kind of came to that conclusion about the paragraph but wasn't 100% sure. There is a table in the report but it's used for the main DD. I tried adding a second table but so far haven't been able to maybe because I was doing it in the wrong place.

My first attempt at this was to put all into a single variable formatted appropriately with CRLF characters and that did work but the customer wanted selected lines in the notes to be bold so I had to abandon that approach... too bad it was simple and worked quite well. I'll study up on adding a second table.

Can you think of a way to bold only 1 line of several in a variable?
    Last edited by Bob Worsley; 13-Sep-2019 at 07:18 AM.
    Bob Worsley
    203-249-2633
    rlworsley at gmail.com

Hi Bob

What i would try in this case is to "convert" the Plain Text into HTML by adding the minimum HTML Tags needed, mark the needed Lines with <b> and </b>, put the complete HTML String into a Variable and use a HTML Object in List & Label to report the whole stuff.

Never tried this directly, but i see no reason why this should not work.

HTH
    Bernhard

That's a novel approach, I never would have thought of it. I can certainly add the tags, the trick will probably be getting the data to show where it's supposed to on this invoice. Thanks again...
    Bob Worsley
    203-249-2633
    rlworsley at gmail.com

Hi Bernhard,
    Well that was interesting. What I'm doing is to run an SQL statement that pulls my data. When I spin through the resulting array I populate a string variable with the appropriate tags and text and end up with a properly formed HTML table with my data.

After a good bit of experimentation - the documentation of HTML usage isn't great - I got pretty close. The problem is placement of the HTML object relative to the object above it and the height of the object. In this invoice it appears at the bottom of the the page and as you can see it actually overwrites the page indicator. It seems like there's no flexibility in the HTML object - it doesn't know about the end of the page and has no ability to roll a part of the object over to the next page. I tried turning the "fit to object" off and what happened then was L&L treated each HTML line as a new page and instead of a 2 page invoice I had a 6 pager.

Given all of this I'm thinking that a table object with the DD will be a better way to do this but it was an interesting thought.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DestNotesHTML.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	13091
    Bob Worsley
    203-249-2633
    rlworsley at gmail.com

The latest effort on this is to convert the destination notes to a table and populate it from a DD which should just work... but it doesn't. I have a very specific object structure to insure that each of the sections of the invoice always appear in the same place and putting the "Destination Notes Table" in the location shown below causes L&L to hang. Nothing I've tried can get it to run at all. I don't know if such a structure with a second table is just not allowed or not allowed in the way that I've used it. Maybe there's some property or something that I've got wrong...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	objectlist.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	13092
    Bob Worsley
    203-249-2633
    rlworsley at gmail.com

Just got back to this and walked through it with the debugger. What's happening is that L&L is getting stuck in a loop and throwing the error

Code:
    LL_WRN_REPEAT_DATA                               FOR -998                // notification: page is full, prepare FOR next page
    which is being thrown in function PrintFirstData and there doesn't seem to be any trapping there so it just keeps looping

I'm guessing that I don't have something set up correctly with this new table so that it doesn't somehow fit on the page? I don't see any settings that look promising in it's properties, any guesses anyone?
    Bob Worsley
    203-249-2633
    rlworsley at gmail.com

Hi Bob

The LL_WRN_REPEAT_DATA is just a Warning telling the Report Loop that the Data which are needed to be printed right now can not be printed on the current page and a new Page is needed to complete the Data. Can you produce a Debug Trace with the DebWin Tool and send it by PM?

Regards
    Bernhard

I will but it won’t be for several hours. Thanks
    Bob Worsley
    203-249-2633
    rlworsley at gmail.com