Thread: Google is restricting its APIs

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Beech Hill - a village near Reading in the UK

Default Google is restricting its APIs

It has just been brought to my attention (thanks Chip!) that Google has begun to tighten up access to its APIs.

The exact extent of this is not totally clear yet, but it seems that GMail is the first to be affected (it appears this is already in force), with Drive soon to follow (early 2020).

If you are making use of any Google APIs in your applications, I suggest you look into this ASAP.

A couple of relevant articles are:

I am not yet sure of the extent of this, but from what I read on those pages it appears that Google are going to require that many apps be "vetted" by a third party: "The security assessment will be completed by a 3rd party to ensure the confidentiality of your application".

And the cost? Well here is what they say: "The assessment fee is paid by the developer and may range from $15,000 to $75,000 (or more) depending on the size and complexity of the application. This fee is due whether or not your app passes the assessment; the fee includes a remediation assessment if needed. If your app has completed a similar security assessment, you will be able to provide a letter of assessment to the assessor as an alternative." So that's that then - if $75K is just petty cash to you, then you have nothing to worry about... except failing the assessment, of course.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Peat; 5-Sep-2019 at 01:39 PM.