Thread: DFRefactor installers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default DFRefactor installers

Hello (Nils),

Just a thought on this. Not a problem for me.

I was trying DFRefactor 3.1.0, version which was outdated.
    Nils generated a new installer (3.2.0) which I tried to install.
    I got error because the installer detected that I had another version installed of this product, so I had to uninstall the prior version to install the new versión.

As far as DFRefactor can be attached as a library I maybe want two versions side by side because I can't update all my projects at the same time.

Maybe DFRefactor is not the best example because I see it as a project, but you can think in DUF.

P.D: I have realized that DUF installer deletes the previous installation automatically and installs the new one. If you cancel the new install you ends up without the prior installation.

Regards.
    I know, I have to learn a lot of things (english the first thing...)

Default Re: DFRefactor installers

Hi,

The way the DUF installer works is the intended way, and it should have worked for you with the DFRefactor installation as well. However, because I screwed up when updating the web-page with the download (uploaded an older version), you got problems installing it after I had corrected the mistake with a newer installation program.

Are you really sure you want to have more than one version of either DFRefactor or DUF at the same time? The smaller version changes are all about bug fixes. I ask you because how I described it above is how it is supposed to work - except for major upgrades. Then I will use an entire new GUID for the installation and you will then be able to have more than one version installed at the same time. Just as you can have now if you ever installed DUF 1.0. It can reside side-by-side with DUF 2.0.

What do you think? Does this seem OK?
    Nils Svedmyr
    RDC Tools International
    www.rdctools.com

"Humor is reason gone mad"
    Groucho Marx

Hello Nils,

To me is ok as it is now.

I don't have any problem at all, I am installing the software in a virtual PC and then I copy the library folder to my local PC at the path that we have to third party libraries. So I am doing the organization at my own and maintaining the copies that I want.

Just curious, how are you going to do in the future with DUF 3?

Right now software gets installed at C:\Projects\DbUpdateFramework, I would expect:
    - C:\Projects\DbUpdateFramework\2.x.x
    - C:\Projects\DbUpdateFramework\3.x.x

Regards.
    I know, I have to learn a lot of things (english the first thing...)

Hi Jose,

RE: Future with DUF 3

I think you're absolutely right. In fact DUF 2 should have been installed as "C:\Projects\DbUpdateFramework2", to distinguish it from the previous/first version. That was a bad installation choice by me, but I will try to remember that for the next major upgrade.
    Nils Svedmyr
    RDC Tools International
    www.rdctools.com

"Humor is reason gone mad"
    Groucho Marx