This is what I've done to migrate only DataDictionaries from vdf11.1 to 17.1. Did it to 17.1 because 11.1 and 17.1 support Win XP. Form 17.1 to 19.1 is just copy and paste the dd files

In 11.1
1-Copy your original workspace to a new one and delete any unnecessary files as much as you can. On that new workspace do and verify the following:
1.1- You must leave the "ddsrc" folder with the ".dd" and ".fd" files
1.2- on the "appsrc" folder I left only the ".sl files" (to avoid unnecessary warnings at conversion time) and the "abdata.*" files
1.3- Create a new project empty file. (eg: moose.src)
1.4- In "moose.src" insert "use moose.vw" in the object "Object oClientArea is a AppClientArea". (more about moose.vw later)
2- On your "ddsrc" folder do the following:
2.1- Enter in console mode (cmd) and change directory (or should I call it folder :-) ) to the ddsrc folder
2.2- Enter the following command: "dir *.dd /b > moose.vw". That will leave a list of all your dd files in "moose.vw". Keep the cmd window active. We will need it later.
2.3- Move the "moose.vw" to the "appsrc" folder. Edit "moose.vw" adding "use " before every dd line. Using VDF studio it should be easy and fast.

So up to now in VDF11.1 you've got a clean workspace with dd, fd, sl, moose.src and moose.vw files

Do a backup of that ws (just in case)

In 17.1
1- Open the studio and open the ".ws" file in the programs folder of the 11.1 project
2- do the conversion as you like
3- Check warnings
4- In the "cmd" window change to the target 17.1 ddsrc folder. I've done the migration on the same set of folders of 11.1.
5- Once in the ddsrc folder do a "dir *.dd /od > mooseddcheck.txt"
6- Open the mooseddcheck.txt file and verify by the timestamp that all dd files have been converted.
7- In the studio do a random check of some the ".dd"

Now compile in 17.1 (or 19.x) and verify.

It has worked for me.

The basics is that you need a .vw (or other) file used in the project that references all the dds (or so I think)

HIH

Regards