Thread: Subclassing the RDS Integration & Json Export

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Subclassing the RDS Integration & Json Export

I am thinking it appropriate to make a contribution.

The files in this uploaded zip contain subclasses of cDRReport which include the RDS functionality generated by the DAC Report View Wizard. This code absolutely belongs in a subclass. Since I have issues with the efficiency of the wizard generated code, there are enhancements that would require minor modifications to existing reports.

. The wizard methods will call your vdata function separately for each table in your report. This multiplies file I/O. So if the total number of tables (main report + all subreports) is 10, you will make 10 passes through the same data in order to load 10 VDATA arrays. Fixed.
    . The wizard methods do not use memory efficiently. Once a VDATA array is loaded, it is passed around to several additional methods via conventional parameters - making a separate copy of VDATA in memory each time. This is fixed using pointers, and thus all the methods from the wizard are revised (and included in the subclass).
    . There are a few additional methods, such as one that is needed to prevent duplicate parent rows from being loaded to VDATA.
    . I illustrate how an additional subclass can be used to further customize your views with app specific features. Sample subclass and report view snippets are Included.
    . There are 2 subclassed report views included - one is data aware and one is not. The data aware reportview is based on the one from VDFGuidance. Both inherit the two layers of cDRReport subclasses.
    . The JSON exporting method supplied with DR is expanded to export all tables in a report to separate files, also including a file containing all report parameters so that you can exactly duplicate any production report within the Studio and post it to the HDE.
    . The two subclassed report views include a hotkey where your end users can activate the above JSON feature using their production data. It is also possible to immediately and automatically send this data to developers as e-mailed attachments.
    . Everything above is exhaustively documented - and far more thoroughly than in the Help Screens of the DAC product. It's 6+ pages of PDF documentation, included in the zip.

Respectfully submitted...

R.S.Hradilek - Houston Tx
    Programming Since 1967
    Attached Files Attached Files