Thread: Amazon to Disable S3 Path-Style Access

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Amazon to Disable S3 Path-Style Access

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...ss-censorship/

If anyone is using Chilkat or other means to access S3 resources this might have an impact.
    Chuck Atkinson

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain

Default Re: Amazon to Disable S3 Path-Style Access

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for posting this info. I have a project for a customer that will require connecting to an S3 bucket. I have not yet done this and I couldn't find much info on the forums about connecting to one. On the ChilKat site, I saw that there is a specific call for more than 1000 items in a bucket (https://www.example-code.com/datafle...00_objects.asp). Have you had to use this with your set up?

This customer is taking a current local share and moving it to an S3 bucket. The way the local share would work is that all files were stored in a single directory and a unique identifier (Order #) was used as the first part of the file name. I could then search the directory for files starting with that and display them in a grid. Can you do something similar of looping through a directory on an S3 bucket?

Thanks,

Gerry

Default Re: Amazon to Disable S3 Path-Style Access

Hi Gerry,

Amazon backed off on disabling the path-style access due to backlash from users.

I don't know about iteration of the objects in a S3 bucket. What I would do is something recently done for a customer. Stand up a AWS Storage Gateway device and do an SMB share to the S3 bucket. The S3 bucket then appears in Windows just a like a network shared folder.

-Chuck
    Chuck Atkinson

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain