Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: YAFR DataTypeToJson beyond 19.1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default YAFR DataTypeToJson beyond 19.1

Please can the DataTypeToJson be improved in 19.2 and or NextGen so that the JSON only contains the struct elements that have been set and not all of them

Yes the JSON can be processed afterwards to remove blanks etc but you might want to send a blank to clear the contents of a field at the other end or you don't want a boolean set to false etc etc

At the moment DataTypeToJson is almost a solution instead of having to manually code the contents of a JSON object to get the exact JSON you expect but it's not quite there

The JSONToDataType could also do with ignoring nulls

Thanks
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm - Winston Churchill

Default Re: YAFR DataTypeToJson beyond 19.1

what we need is null support. Currently without proper null support the runtime of course doesnt know if a field is blank/0/etc or null

the boolean solution is a hack that imo is quite terrible and has bad side effects on code later down the road that will not be easily found

once the language supports null which it should for so many reasons the rest just falls into place
    Michael Salzlechner
    StarZen Technologies, Inc
    http.://www.starzen.com

IT Director at Balloons Everywhere

Development Blog
    http://www.salzlechner.com/dev

DataFlex Package Manager (aka Nuget for DataFlex)
    http://windowsdeveloper.com/dfPackage

I don't disagree but Null support would mean lots of code change for developers would it not ?

sVal="" is not the same as sVal=Null

or maybe it is in the DF world and if you want to know if it is actually Null

If IsNull(sVal)

Also If (bVal) would need to treat false and null the same so as not to break existing code

etc etc

Not saying it would not be better overall and maybe it is as simply as
    ""=Null
    False=Null
    0=Null
    1/1/1753=Null

to preserve existing compatibility unless Null is specifically tested for when it is needed
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm - Winston Churchill

Beech Hill - a village near Reading in the UK

How do other languages handle this?

I don't mean the syntax in various SQL implementations and such like, I mean how does it actually work at a low level? After all there is no way a bit or a byte or a word (of whatever size) can actually be null (unless you mean ASCII 0, which I'd say was zero, regardless of the character code assigned to it, which is only about strings), so how is the magic done?

Mike (hoping to learn something)

depends on the language

c# has value types where the value is stored in the variable itself. They cannot be null.

for ex a non nullable int

int myInt;

or a nullable int

C# also has nullable types for example

int? myNullableInt

they can be null or have a value

nullable types are stored in a struct based on Nullable<T> which has properties such as HasValue, Value and a few methods and operators

c# also has reference types. reference types support null. Classes for example are reference types

MyClass test; // now test is null
    test = new MyClass(); // now test is not null

In Javascript and TypeScript all fields can be null and also undefined
    undefined means a variable has been declared but not assigned a value. null is an actual assigned value

In C++ NULL also exists but no nullable types. NULL is actually the same as 0. References (Pointers) can be null of course which again is the same as 0.
    Michael Salzlechner

Development Blog

Beech Hill - a village near Reading in the UK

Thanks Mike - I didn't know that stuff (so I did just learn something <g>).

So basically in 1st-3rd gen languages, no nulls, while in things like C# they have nullable types that are kind of like a struct with an extra bit (an actual bit maybe?) to indicate whether they are null or not, in addition to the underlying type? (Correct? Wrong?)

Seems to me that in that case DataFlex's best bet would be to add an entire parallel set of nullable datatypes to its type system.

Sort of like we currently have Integer and UInteger (for unsigned), we might have nInteger, for nullable integer, etc. So we'd have:
    • nChar
    • nShort
    • nInteger
    • nBigInt
    • nNumber (sounds like you are fighting a stammer <g>)
    • nDecimal
    • nString
    • nDate
    • nDateTime
    • and so on.

I'm guessing Address and Pointer and Handle would simply use 0 as their null value, so wouldn't need special nullable versions. Would a nullable Boolean be a thing? Sounds silly... surely the whole point of a Boolean is that it can only be True or False.

Would we have to add in unsigned nullable types as well? I'd guess so for completeness.

Maybe they wouldn't all be required... not sure.

That wouldn't mess with existing code, but would provide a capability to handle nulls where required. Could be a part of DataFlex Nextgen...?

Or am I talking rubbish (don't answer that! <g>)

Mike

in C# a nullable type is actually a struct using a generic. But a struct in C# has fields, methods and properties like a class

for example you can do this

Nullable<int> myNullableInt;

or short form

int? myNullableInt;

if (myNullableInt.HasValue) {
    int newint = myNullableInt.Value;
    }

or

if (myNullableInt != null)
    {
    int newint = myNullableInt;
    }

and yes pointers by definition support null when they are not pointing to anything

because they are implemented using generics any type can be made available using the nullable<T> struct
    Last edited by starzen; 17-Apr-2019 at 09:33 AM. Reason: additional
    Michael Salzlechner

Development Blog

Would a nullable Boolean be a thing? Sounds silly... surely the whole point of a Boolean is that it can only be True or False.

This brings us full circle

I actually don't mind if null is supported or not, to me that is a separate question, what I want to know (and I want DF to know) is has a value been assigned to a variable

So yes unassigned or null for a boolean is needed

As Stazen says these are two different 'values' in the case of Javascript
    Last edited by Focus; 17-Apr-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Hi Mike

If the language supports NULL then Booleans should also. If NULL then it has not been set, I know how can a binary variable have a third state? But the variable does not have the third state, it’s the “has a value been set” flag that is being changed when a value is assigned to the variable.

MS SQL keeps a bit map for the columns in each record to indicate if a value has been saved in the column.

No idea what is happening in Next Gen, but one option would be to implement the “has a value been set” flag for all variables, default it to true and set the value to the current defaults. This keep backward compatibility. We would then need to be able to move NULL to variables to clear the “has a value been set” flag. And a couple of methods to test the “has a value been set” flag, IsNULL and IsNotNULL. (I would like both – saves on parenthesis).

You need to try and stop thinking of NULL as a value and think of it as a “has a value been set” flag. Took me some time to do this...
    Ian Smith
    (Member of the SigCj project)

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast