Thread: Strange problem with manifest file and szLibXL

Default Strange problem with manifest file and szLibXL

I am struggling to get LibXL working with manifest files, but get very strange behavior. As I don’t succeed to unregister LibXL on my development machine, I have to test manifest installation on another clean machine.

I compiled the StarZen LibXLSample and copied the WS to the testing machine. It works.

I made a simplifies copy of my own WS and copied the LibXLSample together with all files in the LibXLsample programs map. It was no conflicts with my own application. I have data and filelist.cfg, with another name, in the main map and the names of the .ws-files differs. This WS was copied to the testing machine. LibXLSample works.

Then I made a change in LibXLSample.exe.manifest on the testing machine to make the program fail. It failed with error message Unable to instantiate COM object. As expected!

I copied back the original LibXLSample.exe.manifest file to this combined testing directory. LibXLSample.exe failed to start with message Unable to instantiate COM object. Very curious for me!!!!!

Here I re-started the testing computer and tried again, but the result was the same.

I made a copy of the combined testing directory on the testing machine. Nothing was changed except the name of the copy map. LibXLSample works!!!!!!!

What can have happened? Is something stored on the computer that make the manifest file fail if it has failed once? With such behavior it is very difficult to work with manifest files.

Bengt
    Last edited by Bengt; 31-Mar-2019 at 07:20 AM.

Default Re: Strange problem with manifest file and szLibXL

I erased libxl.dll, libxl.net.dll and szLibXL.dll from the DataFlex 18.2\bin map, re-compiled and then it worked with the manifest files I already had.

The libXL.dll file from StarZen Package client is version 3.6.5.0 from 2016-07-16, but it seems to work with the latest version 3.8.4.0 which I just downloaded from Libxl. This new file is much bigger than the old one.

The szLibXL.dll file I use is version 1.1.0.0 from 2018-10-17. I copied the lines below from LibXLSample.exe.manifest to my manifest files, and that worked. In another thread, MisterM wrote that the version no should be changed to 1.0.0.0, but if I do that, the program doesn't start and states that the side by side configuration is wrong.

Code:
        <dependency>
            <dependentAssembly>
                <assemblyIdentity processorArchitecture="msil" name="szLibXL" version="1.0.0.0"></assemblyIdentity>
            </dependentAssembly>
        </dependency>
    Last edited by Bengt; 31-Mar-2019 at 01:35 PM.

Today I copied the whole wokspace with LibXLSample, that runs so nicely on my local testing machine, to a clean computer at a customer.

The result: Unable to instantiate com object.........

This is curious!

Mike solved the problem. Dot net Framework 3.5 needed to be installed on the computers. After that it works both with Regasm and Manifest file.

Bengt