Thread: No Excel export improvements in 7? Nor Multicolumn reports?

Default No Excel export improvements in 7? Nor Multicolumn reports?

If there's something my users complain about, is Excel exports.

How about extending the native data type export from unformatted to formatted?

Why always DR goes directly to Beta instead of alpha? There are features I've being waiting for years... I thought that this version will bring multicolumn reports. I need this to get rid of my last Crystal reports. At least, make label reports work inside a subreport in this version.

I've also being waiting for group tree selector. (All group names populated and shown to the left in a list so the user can jump directly to a specific group in the report selecting it on this list)

Enviado desde mi SM-G9600 mediante Tapatalk

Default Re: No Excel export improvements in 7? Nor Multicolumn reports?

Boris,

How about extending the native data type export from unformatted to formatted?
    What do you mean? We have formatted as in how DataFlex Reports formats the output and native so that Excel understands the data. Do you want to be able to select a specific Excel cell format option per field? If so, how far should that go?
    Regards,
    Data Access Worldwide
    Vincent Oorsprong

The image on the top, was a test report exported in Excel 2007+ (.xlsx) with the option : Export Data using native Excel datatypes (unchecked).
    The image on the bottom, was the same test report exported in Excel 2007+ (.xlsx) with the option: Export Data using native Excel datatypes (checked).

Remarks on the image on the bottom:
    1.) One of the columns was never ever exported as Excel native datatype as you can see, because it has the little green arrow on the top left corner. It was exported as text. Why this happens? This is a bug in the exporter. This is present in DR 6.2 & 7 beta.

2.) Export Data using native Excel datatypes should be extended to format the cell according to the format of the field in the report. So, if my field is formatted as Number with 2 decimals I don't end up having a value of 0.00 exported as just 0 or a value of 1500.70 exported as 1500.7.

Accountants complain A LOT of both ways of exporting. In the first one, they have to format the entire column as number and on the second, they have to format it to have 2 decimals. The other reporter (version 2005) exported according to the field properties.

edit:
    We have formatted as in how DataFlex Reports formats the output and native so that Excel understands the data
    Short answer: BOTH at the same time. Formatted Excel native datatype.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DR Export to Excel Native Data Types.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	12411

On the Multicolumn reports side, when is this going to be available? Labels reports could work for me if you can enable the other sections (report header, page header, group header, page footer, etc).
    Last edited by Boris; 19-Nov-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Boris,

We look into the problem of exporting and one column not being formatted correctly.

Exporting without DR formatting but with Excel formatting is a huge amount of work and we postpone this.

I have no indication for you when we add the multicolumn reports option but it won't be v7.0 as this is feature complete. It is on our list.
    Regards,
    Data Access Worldwide
    Vincent Oorsprong