Thread: Database Explorer Crashes on 2016 RDS

Default Database Explorer Crashes on 2016 RDS

Getting this error when exiting DBE in a Server 20016 Remote Desktop Services environment...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	12181

Interestingly it only seems to happen after I've used filters. Then it crashes every time when I exit the application.

Happening with both SQL and Embedded database.

Details from the Windows Event log...

Faulting application name: DBExplor.exe, version: 19.0.37.0, time stamp: 0x5a2016ba
    Faulting module name: uiautomationcore.dll, version: 7.2.14393.479, time stamp: 0x5825700e
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0006a0c9
    Faulting process ID: 0x55c4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d43050d6ebff10
    Faulting application path: D:\DataFlex 19.0\Bin\DBExplor.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\uiautomationcore.dll
    Report ID: b8bfba3e-adb1-48e4-a1b1-ef9e53bd1479
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Kind regards,

Michael Macliver
    Triumph Business Systems Pty Ltd
    www.triumph.com.au

Default Re: Database Explorer Crashes on 2016 RDS

Michael,

Will set up a test machine to see what is going on and if we have control over it. Your log says uiautomationcore.dll crashes and AFAIK we don't do anything directly with this DLL.
    Regards,
    Data Access Worldwide
    Vincent Oorsprong

Thanks, that would be good. The uiautomationcore.dll is part of Microsoft's .NET framework.

Just got a bit more info. What's strange is that another machine I've just tested this on does not get an error, even though they've taken over my Remote Desktop Session. I'm now suspecting that the problem is related in a strange way to the remote machine. My machine is Win 10
    1703 64 Bit, the other machine is Win 10 1803 64 Bit. Possibly something to do with how the Windows UI interacts with the remote machine.

Will keep digging.

Kind regards,

Michael Macliver
    Triumph Business Systems Pty Ltd
    www.triumph.com.au

Michael,

Asked for a test machine and my sysop reports: to what patch level has his machine been updated? Microsoft releases many bad updates recently.

So, looking at your report about the client machine differences I wonder if it make sense to look into this. We don't directly do something with this DLL.
    Regards,
    Data Access Worldwide
    Vincent Oorsprong

Michael,

We received a HDE call from Albin Wisén about the same uiautomationcore.dll on a Windows 2016 server accessed via RDP. Albin reports the problem occurs with Database Explorer and Database Builder but only on exiting the application.

We've done tests with a Windows 2016 server and we see no errors. By going back and forth we think it depends on the build of your own Windows version and the RDP program installed. Albin had the crashes using Windows 1903 and not with Windows 1809. In my situation I only tested with Windows 1903 and I saw no crashes. When one googles on this DLL one finds hits about Outlook crashing with this DLL as well and suggestions to replace the DLL with an older version.

I think it is time for Microsoft to solve the problems they keep creating the last couple of years with updates.
    Regards,
    Data Access Worldwide
    Vincent Oorsprong