Thread: Anybody use Powershell to install next version, from current version?

Default Anybody use Powershell to install next version, from current version?

I've a few customers who have 18.2 apps that I want to upgrade to 19.x

I'm looking for solutions that allow me to install the new run-time on the server, and have the client pc's notice that it is there and start up the installer as administrator, all without expecting the customer's idiots staff to do anything
    Michael Mullan.
    Danes Bridge Enterprises.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    There is just today. Tomorrow is a concept
    that is mostly theoretical. -- GM Wylie
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Default Re: Anybody use Powershell to install next version, from current version?

I had a customer "apparently" do that in a script that ran everyday at midnight... but I was never part of setting it up so I don't really know how they did that

Mike

Default Re: Anybody use Powershell to install next version, from current version?

[edited - as i misread the question]
    Sean Bamforth. - D̤͍͍̭̱̄ͦ̆̏̇ͯ͑̄å̩̻͈͒͌t͇̻͙̞̤̱̏̎̐a͈͎͈ͬ̓̽ͮ̓̔̎ͅf̙͓̃̆̈́̔ ̳̣̝͔̲ḷ̩̺̗͎ͤ͂̇̚e̻̙̼̞̥͖̬̹ͮ͌ͫ̆ͬͅx͉̖̣̩̮̖̎͌ ͍̃̃̉̆̋̋ͥP̠̝̱̿͛ͬͩ̍̅̔ͣr̻̪̤͚̘̰̤͑̿̈̄̍ͯo̫͈̪̭̥͙͛̃̔̀g̔͗ͦ̅ ̝̯̘̣̘͗͆̄̋r̲͓̭͓̪̋ͩͤ͛̑́̎͋a͇̰̼͚̜̅́͌͗̆̅̏ͪͦm̯̤̱̥͇͋͒̈̅̓ͮ ̱̣̞m̖̼̰̟̗̮̬͓͗͋̏̓ͫ̑ͪͅḙ̄ͯͧ̋̋̑̊͗ͅr͕͇ͪ͒̆͗͆̓̀

To push installations to clientPCs you would need Domain Controler privilege in most cases.. Do you have such privilege in your customers ?

This can be implemented by implementing Logon-Scripts that would do the job for you.. or domain Group-Policies (GPO).
    Googling for "Push software installations to workstations" gives several alternatives as well

Good Luck
    Samuel Pizarro

I have the same problem.
    I want to migrate from 18.1 to 19.0 to my 20 different customers but I don't want to go on the 100 different Computers to run the "DataFlex19.0.Workstation" on it.
    I think that some years ago, someone on the forum told about a solution but I don't find this anymore.

Jacques

we build our own workstation installs. These install programs know how to install the DF runtime as well as any other workstation components that need to be installed.
    It also handles other things needed. In one case for example it has to first close certain running programs such as one that communicates with the asterisk phone system.

The app knows the current workstation version and also knows the most recent available workstation version.
    Anytime a user launches a program it checks if there is an update available. If there is it launches the workstation installs in sequential order until the workstation is up to date

the workstation install can also be launched manually on a new clean workstation as well

if you have a domain controller you can push software installations to a workstation. Have not tried this with DF though.
    Michael Salzlechner
    StarZen Technologies, Inc
    http.://www.starzen.com

IT Director at Balloons Everywhere

Development Blog
    http://www.salzlechner.com/dev

DataFlex Package Manager (aka Nuget for DataFlex)
    http://windowsdeveloper.com/dfPackage

Hi Jacques

We do the same as Michael and build it into our program installs. What Installer do you use for your programs?