Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 64-bit Unicode DataFlex - expectations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 64-bit Unicode DataFlex - expectations

We’re very pleased with the enthusiastic reaction to our 64-bit Unicode DataFlex news announcement and blog – thanks to all of you who have responded so positively to them.

Building a 64-bit Unicode DataFlex product is a very big undertaking that will keep us all moving forward into the future while helping to grow the DataFlex community. “When” is always the first question to follow an exciting announcement like this and the simple answer is: we don’t know yet. We are making good progress, but we are too far from the target to forecast even pre-release dates with any accuracy. To give you as much as we can now for your planning purposes, here’s what you can’t and can expect:

• Do not expect any product releases resulting from the 64-bit and Unicode projects until at least late in 2018; it could easily be longer (into 2019).
    • To keep the product moving forward with useful new features and functionality while we work on 64-bit and Unicode, you can expect a release of 32-bit DataFlex during 2018. Those enhancements will, of course, be carried forward in the 64-bit Unicode product when it releases. The next revision is being planned and worked on now; we will be unveiling details after January 1, 2018.

Please understand that we are as excited about 64-bit Unicode DataFlex as the community is. There is however still design and planning to be done in addition to significant work. We will keep you informed of our progress when we are further along, but we cannot engage in discussion of the implementation at this point because we don’t yet have all the answers ourselves. That’s a polite attempt to say, please don’t ask us about release dates and technical details now, we’ll tell you more as soon as we can. And, we will.

In the meantime, we will focus on building an interim 32-bit release and a 64-bit Unicode DataFlex for you that meet the standards of innovation, quality, reliability, and performance that you expect from us.

Your enthusiasm and your patience are greatly appreciated.
    Regards,

Chip Casanave
    Data Access Worldwide - Miami, FL USA
    Business software for a changing world

Default Re: 64-bit Unicode DataFlex - expectations

While I am extremely excited about the announcement (literally I am more excited about this than Christmas), and I totally get that you guys won't be able to give a release date anytime soon, what are we supposed to do as in the mean time? I don't know how to phase that in a polite way, but with all due respect, are we supposed to not ask any question and sit and wait for the next update from DAW? What is the point of making the announcement? To generate excitement, is that it? To keep us from moving to C# in the mean time? I am genuinely curious.

I can't tell you how excited I am about this, and I really hope you guys will be able to deliver this to the DF community.

Frank Cheng

Frank,

Considering your experience with both DataFlex and multiple languages, I'm thrilled to see your level excitement. And, your questions are fair so I'll do my best to answer them...

As I wrote, we're just not ready to discuss details yet - we don't have all of the answers. Getting into the weeds now will actually slow down moving the work ahead to the point that we can discuss it. And, granular questions without an overall design context will just lead to more questions and more questions (and more time). Our objective therefore is to get the design and a degree of implementation done to the point that we can present the overall concept and fill in details. Some questions will be answered by a higher level conceptual perspective and more detailed disclosures and follow-up questions from developers will fit into that perspective more meaningfully. To conclude, although it might seem a bit harsh, for now, yes, "sit and wait for the next update" is what you'll have to do. But, know that we want to have the project evolved to the point that we can discuss it and take questions at least as much as you do!

The decision to announce these projects now was a matter of balance. As is likely at HCSS, there is a need for DAW to have undisclosed, behind-the-scenes work going on because research and initial planning and design don't fit into a scheduled project plan - you don't know what you don't know especially with something this big and complex. Accordingly, unannounced work has been going on since last summer. While there is a need for privacy in the early stages, given the kind of product/platform that DataFlex is, our customers need to plan months and sometimes years in advance at both technical and business levels. DataFlex's direction can materially influence customer plans so, with what we know now and the confidence that we have in accomplishing what we need to do, the time was right to make high-level disclosures. We do want to generate excitement but not, at least intentionally, frustration. And, from a planning perspective, we want to provide enough information so customers can continue their reliance on DataFlex because they know what to expect in the future.

HTH...
    Regards,

Chip Casanave
    Data Access Worldwide - Miami, FL USA
    Business software for a changing world

Excellent post to allow us to plan for the future.

I have a quiet smile because it I suspected something was afoot after listening to the content of a couple of presentations, at the September Dapcon conference in Sydney.

There is often a feature or two added to the core product that fits right into enabling a core component that will be used in the next step for the product. It is a just a question of second guessing what that next step is.
    A simple example is the side explanation by JT about unicode coupled with the Json stuff. That has all been very useful to me post conference.

It reinforces that importance of attending conferences to enable future direction planning. It is a lot more extra cost and time to learn the new stuff raw and you also are not part of wider discussions at the conference if you don't attend.
    Whenever a Daw presentation is given I think why is that new feature being built in, how will Daw use it in a future version and how can I benefit from it now and in the future.

One of the biggest barriers to past sales was "dataflex does not have a 64 bit version". Naïve comment I know, but it was often trotted out by IT consultants both external and internal.

Really great news and well done for expected timeframe.

Daw being so inclusive with the community sieves ideas rather well from conference and forum feedback by weeding out the selfish features we all want and enabling features with a wider benefit.
    Be part of that process and attend your next regional conference.

Russell

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Russell McDougall View Post
    Excellent post to allow us to plan for the future.

It reinforces that importance of attending conferences to enable future direction planning. It is a lot more extra cost and time to learn the new stuff raw and you also are not part of wider discussions at the conference if you don't attend.

Daw being so inclusive with the community sieves ideas rather well from conference and forum feedback by weeding out the selfish features we all want and enabling features with a wider benefit.
    Be part of that process and attend your next regional conference.
    Kind regards,

Clive Richmond
    Triumph Business Systems Pty Ltd
    www.triumph.com.au

My hope is that a very fruitful conversation (presentation) can be done at DISD!! A good discussion on the pro's & khan's seems like it would be in order. For those of use using 3rd party controls & ocx's, what will we need to do? What are some of the benefits DAW expects to see from the 64-bit Unicode version? Not expecting those questions to be answer here, just a very very good DISD presentation it sounds like!
    Thanks,
    Mark

Thanks, Chip !!!

This really helps with planning and would definitely help us focus on what we need to do for our applications in the next 2 years - we would need to start aligning our application now rather than later - from 3rd party tools to our application coding style, to ensure come 2019 we will be ready to jump on-board. Just looking at the all the WINAPI definitions that we have and are using will be a feat by itself, so a 2-year heads-up is much appreciated.

Thanks and Great work!!
    Regards,
    Raveen Sundram

Software Development Manager
    Excellent Software Ltd
    Auckland, New Zealand
    www.helixretail.co.nz

Hi Chip,
    Speaking of planning, one big question occurs which might mean some preparation on our part. Is DAW planning on making the 64-bit version a clone of the 32-bit version with regards to syntax? Or is it DAW's intent to clean up all of those properties and whatnot that are for example Enabled_State in one area of the language and pbEnabled in another? I for one would like a cleanup for consistency and I should think it would be a very good thing for the language. Switching to pbEnabled everywhere while keeping the old Enabled_State but deprecating it might already be on the agenda. I'm sure the particulars haven't been decided but the general direction would be helpful.
    Bob Worsley
    203-249-2633
    rlworsley at gmail.com

Do or do not. There is no try. — Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Worsley View Post
    Hi Chip,
    Speaking of planning, one big question occurs which might mean some preparation on our part. Is DAW planning on making the 64-bit version a clone of the 32-bit version with regards to syntax? Or is it DAW's intent to clean up all of those properties and whatnot that are for example Enabled_State in one area of the language and pbEnabled in another? I for one would like a cleanup for consistency and I should think it would be a very good thing for the language. Switching to pbEnabled everywhere while keeping the old Enabled_State but deprecating it might already be on the agenda. I'm sure the particulars haven't been decided but the general direction would be helpful.
    not in the specific context of 64/Uni but I had that very question asked of me last week by our junior developer..
    I should be on a beach ...

Yeah. That'd be a nice "key feature" for 19.1

+1
    Michael Mullan.
    Danes Bridge Enterprises.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    There is just today. Tomorrow is a concept
    that is mostly theoretical. -- GM Wylie
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast