Thread: Error creating a database connection

Default Error creating a database connection

Hi,

I had a problem with me administrator login password which then locked me out. I tried DAIreset but it didn't help so I copied over the emptyDNMC file and managed to login in as administrator ok. When I try and create a database connection though I get an error when saving. I have a developer version but haven't used it for quite a while so not sure if this has something to do with it.

Thanks
    Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-10-11_13-48-26.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	11378  

Default Re: Error creating a database connection

Hi Richard,

I don't see how DAIReset could fail "to help" unless the Admin user had been deleted since it won't recreate an admin user -- only reset the password and failed logins counter.

In case you'd recently changed your Admin password -- something that has bitten me, and others, is the field "Organization ID" getting auto-filled with a value due to some browser caching of forms and wrong association with that form/field. Unless a custom SSL certificate was implemented with an organization name which requires some custom programming to implement in Dynamic AI -- and I don't know anyone who has used this -- the field should always be left blank, otherwise that user will not be able to log in. DAIReset likely doesn't touch that field.

Regarding the connection ID failing to save: What happened when you clicked the "TEST CONNECTION" button before trying to save the connection? If the result is not a green success message, then the black error message would give you more detailed information than the log screenshot you showed. Do you have the 32 bit drivers installed for whatever backend DB you're trying to connect to?

Regards,
    Bob

Hi Bob,

It had been a while since I used it but I'm pretty sure I hadn't deleted the Administrator user. I had forgotten the password which is why it locked me out. I wouldn't have used the Organisation Id originally and there was no SSL certificate.
    I just tried again (after backing up the DNMC first) and got the same thing. I may be misunderstanding how it is supposed to work or just have it plain wrong so here are my steps:
    Tried to login as Administrator
    Entered an incorrect password until I got the lockout message
    Ran DAIreset with the default password and it said the Administrator password and login counts had been reset
    Tried to login as Administrator again using the default password but it still said there had been too many attempts

For the database connection problem. When I click Test Connection it says connection ok in green. I have the "ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server" installed under 32 bit ODBC Administration.

Update: Weird today it works ok. Not sure what was going on there. The only thing I can think I did was reboot.

Thanks
    Richard
    Last edited by Richard Hogg; 11-Oct-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Quite puzzling Richard. I really have no idea how to explain what your describing. It almost sounds like you have two instances and/or two locations for your repository? Something has changed during the interval you last successfully used the instance -- but it apparently wasn't Dynamic AI itself. Windows OS?, IIS? MDAC? (The repository is an Access DB.) Rights? (You could try temporarily putting the Administrator user on the web site authentication in IIS.)

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling Dynamic AI. Since an uninstall doesn't actually delete your data, I would suggest renaming the folder so a new install is truly a virgin one.

Regarding the organization ID, no I wasn't suggesting you entered anything. I was suggesting your browser filled it in and the value got saved without your noticing. First thing I always do on any system -- not just Dynamic AI -- is create a second credential with Administrator rights so I always have two ways of getting in.

Bob

Hi Bob,

The only thing I can think has changed is regular Windows updates that have been done. Is the DNMC.dai the repository file? I did a Windows search and found a copy in C:\Program Files (x86)\Dynamic AI Server\DAT and also in C:\Users\rehog\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Dynamic AI Server\DAT.

I actually had setup an alternate admin user but had forgotten what it was...DOH!

Cheers
    Richard

Hi Richard,

DNMC.dai is the main repository. It has all your report metadata, connections, users, groups, dyn-views, dyn-joins, dyn-relations, dictionaries, custom style sheets and customer TCharts.

DNMCLOG.dai is the log database.

DNMCVERS.dai is the version history database that supports reloading previous versions and deleted versions of reports, views and joins.

DNMCADM.dai is a read-only repository that contains the system style sheets and charts, and predefined system/admin reports that you cannot modify -- only use ad-hoc design at run-time (no save).

Anyone using Dynamic AI better be backing up DNMC.dai.

The default install location is c:\Program Files (x86) and most people don't back up that folder so a word to the wise...

All of this is documented in the main on-line help and the server doc PDF on our FTP site, which link is found in the oldest, earliest sticky post in this forum.

Final note: the DAIReset program is going to operate on the DNMC repository located in the same folder in which DAIReset.exe is executed! What physical folder does your "ai6" website in IIS actually point to? The default location? Or this duplicate location you mention? Which location are you executing DAIReset from?

Bob

Hi Bob,

Sorry didn't mean for you to write out all that Agreed on the backing up thing. If I look in IIS in Basic Settings It says physical path C:\Program Files (x86)\Dynamic AI Server\INT6. I ran DAIReset from C:\Program Files (x86)\Dynamic AI Server\DAT. I don't want to spend too much time on it as I have things running now but just thought resolution might help if anyone had the same issue in the future.

Cheers
    Richard

I type fast so I didn't think it was much to write. ;-)

So now you are able to save a new connection?

The only time I have ever seen DAIReset fail was when the use had deleted the admin user. I suggested to Cintac that the utility could/should recreate that user in case it was deleted. Maybe in version 7! :-)

Regards,
    Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes today I created one ok. So not sure what was going on there. I may have deleted the administrator user I just can't remember doing it as I haven't used my development system for a while as I was anticipating the release of version 7 and wanted to start with that.

Don't delay version 7 anymore I'll happily take version 7 without that functionality

Cheers
    Richard