Thread: Checklist for using 18.2 to connect to v2.3 running application

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Checklist for using 18.2 to connect to v2.3 running application

I have a running v2.3b app that needs to continue to run. I want to add some add some programs in 18.2 that will access the same data. I seem to recall there are some considerations to doing this.

Can I add some data files using the tools in 18.2? I'm not modifying any files created in v2.3b.

Any things to avoid?

User station running v2.3b are XP or Win7x32. User station running 18.2 is WIn7x64. Data is on server running 2003r2 but can be upgraded. I have 4 user stations running but they are all used by me so no heavy multiuser use.

Feel free to tell me I'm crazy if this is a bad idea.

Eventual plan is to convert most to 18.2 and then possibly convert all way down the road.

Default Re: Checklist for using 18.2 to connect to v2.3 running application

The main thing is to understand the data file revisions. Data files that you create in 18.2 will not be accessible in 2.3. The data files from 2.3 can be opened and used by 18.2, but you have to make sure you never change their definition when using 18.2 or the resulting data file will no longer be usable by 2.3.

The sooner you can get completely off 2.3 the happier you will be.
    Best regards,

-SWM-

Somewhere in Vermont, USA - unless I'm not

To echo/expand on what Stephen said - create any new files, or edit old in 2.3 only.
    Garret

Time for an oldie but goodie:

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

My plans are not to try to remember how to program in v2.3b since I haven't even changed any code since 1997. I did most of the programming in the 1980s. I now have this business back and need to recover from the damage done by the people running it. I also need to determine if I can learn to write software again at 64, while running a much smaller version of the business I built.

My first intention is to add a new file, which I will create in v2.3b - thanks Garret. I will then create an inventory screen in 18.2 that reads in price update files from various vendors. I want to be able to create the various price data and then write those prices to the existing v2.3b inventory master file so customers are charged the appropriate prices.

My next step is to create new inventory and customer inquiry screens in 18.2 that will access the quantity and pricing info from the v2.3b data and some additional data in new files created that have extra info such as pictures, application info, vendor info, etc. Invoicing will still be done in the existing v2.3b program. This will let me eliminate the XP computers and allow me to not have to run to a different computer when the phone rings. At present, the UPS & labeling computers can't do a customer or inventory inquiry so I have to run to another computers.

When it comes time to convert the existing program, I hope to be busy enough, and have enough money, to hire a programmer to convert those functions. I also need to create a web site with the products and it would seem DF would be the way to go with the realtime updates to price and quantity data.

That was it. I'm off and running now.

THANKS Garret.

Glad it worked! Make sure they don't catch you...
    Garret

Duplicate
    Last edited by Garret Mott; 15-Apr-2017 at 10:20 PM. Reason: oops
    Garret

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	10834

I've run the tutorial and created the sample app Media from the tutorial. I created a new workspace and changed the data and filelist.cfg directories to point to my existing v2.3b data. I can view my existing tables and browse the actual data in the tables. But when I attempt to use the view wizard like I did in the Media example, I get the error that I must connect to a database or table. I'm expecting it to have me name the table just like the Media example. I don't want to make any changes thru the 18.2 after the warnings above. Am I missing something?

Yep - you are.

VDF (now DF) talks to the data through Data Dictionaries. 2.3 doesn't use anything like them - so you'll want to read up on them.

The problem is that you don't have a Data Dictionary (DD) for each table. If you go to Tools, Data Dictionary Maintenance, Create DD Classes for Selected Tables, you'll see a grid where you can select all the tables & they will be created for you.

I think that's the problem you're having. Once they're created, you can start learning how they work & that will blow away someone used to programming in 2.3.
    Garret