Thread: Setup Suggestion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Setup Suggestion

When converting my existing application to 19.0 I clicked on the Studio "Database SQL Connetions" and got what appears to be an easy way to generate the appropriate .ini file and with a little code as described in the help (and Michael...) Voila! we have an SQL connection. I looked around and in cConnection.pkg it sorta states that DFConnId.ini is the default name but it can be overridden. I'll have to dig into this a bit since as many do I already have all the code written for using connection IDs so would probably have to get rid of some or all of that. Anyway, nice.

Anyway, not the point of this posting. One thing seems to be missing, at least to me. I still had to manually add "4096=MSSQLDRV" to dfini.cfg in the runtime USR folder since it only comes with the ODBC driver defined. Wouldn't the above dialog be the ideal place to automatically update dfini.cfg? At least for the newbies?

But then there's the issue of bringing a workspace that's already been set up for SQL over to a new DF revision - we still have to manually update dfini.cfg. dfini.cfg dates back to the year of the flood, can't we please find some automated way to update it?

Or is there some magical way that the new connection stuff already does away with the need to change dfini.cfg? I've always found it necessary...
    Last edited by Bob Worsley; 7-Jan-2017 at 04:35 PM.
    Bob Worsley
    203-249-2633
    rlworsley at gmail.com

Do or do not. There is no try. — Yoda