Along with my RPTVerify utility (previously documented here, and a new version just uploaded), I've also written a program that will search for a string inside Crystal reports. Just to be tricky, I named it "RPT Search".

It's a really straightforward program, as you can see from this screenshot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RPT Search.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	10202

You tell it what folder to search, select if you want recursion and if it should skip folders with "Backup" in their name, put in what you're searching for and click Process. It'll then go through and find everywhere that string is used. It'll show the results in a treeview with detail about where it was found. And if you double-click on an item, it'll even open it in Crystal!

When it's done, you can export the tree to an XML file.

It will save your settings when you exit and restore them at the next launch.

RPT Search.zip

I've attached the binary and the .Net 2005 source code. I believe it uses the Crystal redistributable linked to in the first post of my RPT Verify thread.

If I remember correctly, some of the code for this program came from a project under the GPL (if that's a concern of you and/or your company), so I can't sell it but I can give it away. If you appreciate it and want to show me how much, buy me a meal at DISD or something...