Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RichText (RTF) support in cWebEdit

Default RichText (RTF) support in cWebEdit

Hi DAW,

We currently have notes (text fields) stored as RTF via the cDbRichEdit VDF control. And we don't have much issues with it as most Windows applications are compatible with it, including VRW3.

But when it comes to web, I'm not even sure if RTF can be supported.

Are there plans for some RichText support in the WAF, either RTF or HTML?

It would be good if we had some heads-up, so that development can be aligned accordingly.

Thanks.
    Regards,
    Raveen Sundram

Software Development Manager
    Excellent Software Ltd
    Auckland, New Zealand
    www.helixretail.co.nz

Default Re: RichText (RTF) support in cWebEdit

+1
    Jim Albright
    Wizard Systems, Inc.

Raveen,

Nothing specific planned in the immediate future (18.x) and speculating about where past that it might fall isn't very meaningful (or accurate). That said, there is another thread where folks are discussing other options for editing HTML (TinyMCE and CKEdit) that may be of use. Not sure if either of those would support RTF.

http://support.dataaccess.com/Forums...L-editor-class
    Best regards,

-SWM-

Hi Stephen,

The issue here is cross platform compatibility.

We have a user requirement for "Rich" text - the user isn't concerned if its RTF or HTML, just as long as it is WYSIWYG or Rich - but we need to make sure that the "Notes" field will be in a format compatible with our deployment strategy.

See below:

"Rich" text editor formats RTF HTML
    VDF WinApp Yes No / Custom
    VRW3 Yes No
    WebApp No No / Custom

We probably could use third party products for an HTML Editor for both Win & Web environments, but we hit a brick wall with Visual Report Writer (VRW3) as it currently doesn't support HTML text fields.

Please advise.

Thanks.
    Regards,
    Raveen Sundram

Excellent Software Ltd
    Auckland, New Zealand
    www.helixretail.co.nz

Raveen,

I understand what you are looking for, I just don't have anything that will address your need in the pipeline at this time. As I mentioned, I don't know if either of the developer provided controls (TinyMCE or CKEdit) support RTF - but if they do then using them is really no different than any other 3rd party control in order to attain your goal. Perhaps you can pose that question to the folks using them in the threads that discuss those options.
    Best regards,

-SWM-

We have recently been looking at this and from what we can tell TinyMCE and CKEDit both only output HTML. There are multiple pieces of code out there to convert RTF <--> HTML so we have looked at using one of the above in both WebApp and VDF and store the text in HTML then convert it to RTF to print. Our real problem is printing as we print multiple ways. If VRW (which we have not used) supports RTF this may be a solution as we use List and Label which also seems to support RTF.
    Frank Valcarcel
    Cove Systems, Inc.
    Pine Island, Florida USA
    fv@covesys.com
    (239) 823-7976

A simple solution would be to use third party rtf2Html-converter (if possible both ways...). With a bit of luck you even find one written in JS, so you can include it in the WebComponent (i.e. Load rtf data from the database, convert it to html, display it in the editor (for example CKEditor, which works great for us) and when the data should be saved, convert it back to rtf and send it to the WebApp.
    Or try to find some sort of activeX or something, which can handle Html on your desktop application.
    Currently working for transXpro (an online platform for a Swiss translation agency).
    Improved (unofficial) DataFlex Forum Search (now with SSL)

You can use Either of the editors mentioned above on the desktop in VDF by wrapping them in the VDF browser control.
    Frank Valcarcel
    Cove Systems, Inc.
    Pine Island, Florida USA
    fv@covesys.com
    (239) 823-7976

Hi Raveens

If you don't need to edit in HTML, I wrote a function that converts RTFtoHTML. It is in VDF code, so you can add to it (or correct it) if you need to.... but I don't have HTMLto RTF. Let me know if this interests you. I posted it several years ago on the forum, but have added to it since then.

Mike

Thanks for all your responses.

But after much research and costing (time not $$) - we have decided put this project on 'ice' until we have a clearer path for rich text support in WebApps.

Although RTF would work right now with VDF including VRW, we are currently developing/porting some of our modules to the Web - therefore, in the next year or so, we would hit a brick wall in development. This is because the webapp does not have rich text support and even if we could custom build a control it would most likely be HTML and therefore would need to have some sort RTF --> HTML --> RTF conversion routine in place. Or have VRW support HTML text fields.

We need cross platform rich text support or at least an indication.

Thanks again for all your responses.

Links for research:

1. HTML-to-RTF DLL: http://www.htmltortf.com/convert-html-to-rtf-withphp/component-html-text-to-rtf-withphp.php1
    2. HTML Editor : http://www.tinymce.com

Thanks.
    Regards,
    Raveen Sundram

Excellent Software Ltd
    Auckland, New Zealand
    www.helixretail.co.nz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast