Ever since CodeSense came to VDF, there has been one somewhat annoying issue when it comes to the compile error list. When you get a list of errors, you can double-click the error line and be taken to the line in the code that generated the error. This is a fantastic feature and, by itself, reduces the debugging time in a huge way. However, there is a minor issue with this when you make a change in the source that adds one or more lines of code.

For example, you have three errors listed on lines 100, 105, and 110. You double-click the first error and are taken to line 105. Great! But, if you add three lines of code, the second and third error lines are now 108 and 113. But, the error list still thinks those errors are on lines 105 and 110. So, when you double-click them, you're taken to the wrong line in the source.

Now, granted, it is usually not difficult to figure out which line is the offending line. My coding errors are usually pretty obvious! However, there are occasions where it is not and ending up on the wrong line of code has sometimes sent me in the wrong direction. The easiest way around this issue is to get in the habit of recompiling any time you add any lines of code so that the error list lines are accurate.

Would it be difficult for the IDE to adjust line offsets in the error list if it detects the addition of lines to the code? This is pretty minor as things go, but I think it's one of those "nice" things developers would appreciate.

Anyone else? Agree/Disagree?

Steve W.
USA Software, Inc.