Thread: Attempt to run uncompiled expression

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Attempt to run uncompiled expression

I'm getting this error for first time ever. What does this really mean? I can't decypher it? An uncompiled expression???

EDIT - Solved. Trying to put a ASCII value into a numeric field. My problem - but wow this message is sure cryptic !
    Last edited by chuckatkinson; 22-Aug-2013 at 08:49 AM.
    Chuck Atkinson

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain

Default Re: Attempt to run uncompiled expression

Chuck,

This is an expected RC2 change. Check out the build notes or the docs for this error. Or just look directly at the Set_StrictEval command. Most likely this code was doing something you had not intended. Prior to RC2, this would have either 1) run and worked, 2) run with the wrong results, or 3) raised an "invalid symbol in expression" error. Now you get the error 56. Yes this is about as cryptic as can be but we used this error (which has been around forever) because it will pop out to the developer as something related to this change. In the final release we will now show the offending string value in the error which will make it a little clearer. In 18.0 we might change the message or its text

-John

Thanks John - the error appeared with some new code in RC2. I guess I missed the error mentioned in the build notes. It was totally my fault as I was working with someone else's database design and made a wrong assumption about a data type. Attempting to move a string into a number.

So this error has been around forever? One more thing in DF that I haven't seen before
    Chuck Atkinson

The error has been around forever but you have to work to see it. For example:

String gs1 gs2
    Move "X" to gs1
    Move "Y" to gs2

Move (gs1/gs2) to gs2

-John

I do work But sometimes smarter than this ... LOL

But really has it always said this? I vaguely remember an error something like "attempt to put string into a integer" or "type mismatch" ???
    Chuck Atkinson