Hi All,

Due to popular demand we have to move from PSQL to MSSQL.
Peace of cake ... run the conversion tool and we are done. WRONG

The conversion takes a lot more time because of the limitations of MSSQL in the department of index creation and the support of overlap fields.
The limitation i'm running into is the 16 column maximum of an index in MSSQL even when an index-length of 900 bytes is possible. Correct me if i'm wrong...

In PSQL there is also a limitation of 255bytes per index. I only twice hit this maximum in one of my apps. The number of index columns is not limited.
Overlap-fields were used to group columns into usefull names, so that indexes containing for example 25 columns into 4 overlap-fields.

This technic does not work in MSSQL. Overlap-fields, although defineable via INT, can not be used in an index (an overlap-fields containing of 4 columns gets converted to 4 columns in an index)
As you can image i'm running out of real-estate index-wise pretty fast. In fact i don't think i can transfer our applications to MSSQL from PSQL because of this unless i'm missing something.

Can i get some pointers on this. Are my assumptions correct or am i really missing something.
Looked at the docs but no luck there.

Roel Westhoff
W4 Software & Consultancy BV
Nuth, Netherlands
http://www.ifour.eu