Hi Stephen,

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen W. Meeley View Post
Interesting idea. I'll look into it...
I'll throw this idea into the melting pot.

It seems to me the VDF XX.x Workstation.exe does a lot of the work we currently do with our own workstation installer. If this installer could be open up via an .ini file e.g. workstation.ini it should be possible to register .DLLs and registry changes. E.g.

Code:
[ActiveX]
DLL=.\Codejock.CommandBars.v13.4.2.ocx
DLL=.\Codejock.ReportControl.v13.4.2.ocx
DLL=.\Codejock.SkinFramework.v13.4.2.ocx
DLL=.\Codejock.Controls.v13.4.2.ocx
DLL=.\chilkatmail_v8.dll

[Registry1] 
Key=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Data Access Worldwide\Visual DataFlex Tools\17.0\DbExplorer\Preferences
Value="AutoLoadTableFilter=dword:00000001"
Value="AutoResizedbForms=dword:00000001"
Value="CheckMaxRecords=dword:00000001"
Value="CloseFilesOnRootItemClick=dword:00000001"
Value="CurrentRowColor=dword:00ffff00"
Value="ZerofileAllowed=dword:00000000"
The workstation installer must be allowed to execute on the machine where the client engine is installed. Whether it updates the entries in under HKLM may need to be qualified i.e. only update if certain conditions are met e.g. existence of the virtual machine in the same folder or a switch on the command line.

This would eliminate our own workstation installer but not our runtime installer. The latter is still need to install our application such as the database, programs, DLLs etc. We would extend it to create the workstation.ini file and on completion run VDF XX.x workstation.exe. For those that don't use an installer it's easier enough to create the .ini file and copying it into the VDF bin folder.

Any thoughts on this other problem?