I have a data entry screen that I wrote a month ago that worked nicely at the time. I just went back and retried saving a new record and now I'm getting the dreaded Status 90, "Please enter a valid record id" error.

This is a member table with 18 parents so thinking that the parents weren't populated I checked them and all 18 seem to be correct with a valid record in the DD buffer though to be honest I haven't checked each and every one, just a random sampling. Should I?

Next I walked through the Request_Validate code with the debugger until I found the error in the datadict package which occurs in the member table on the main key field. Which BTW is unique and is not related to anything.

Obviously something has changed somewhere and is now causing the error but I don't see what. And judging from some of the threads on the subject this is a PITA to chase down especially when it can possibly occur on fields that are actually unrelated to the real problem - or so I saw in at least one other thread.

The main question seems to be how do I troubleshoot this? And not tear out my hair?