Thread: Migrating from 15.1 to 16.1

Default Migrating from 15.1 to 16.1

We are migrating our projects from 15.1 to 16.1 and we found some issues in our tests.

I'd like to know if someone else notes some of these two issues too.

1) We noted a problem when the DBForm is displaying the information:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DBForm.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	4673
    As you can see, the information is truncated. And it's not good for the users.

2) We also noted the horizontal scroll bar in the grids.

Name:	DBGrid.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	4674

Have anybody noticed these issues?

I tried to reproduce in "Order Entry" but I coundn't. We tested these two things in different computers (WinXp, Win7, Win764bits, Win7 with a different resolution) and we saw the issue #1 in all computers. But the issue #2 is happening just sometimes.
    Does someone know something to fix it? Maybe some workaround that we can use. We don't want to open all views to change the size of the objects. We have now 964 views, 304 reports, 286 selection lists and 259 dialogs. We can't open all files to check if some information is truncated. The DBGrid issue is a minor issue and we'll change to the new grid in a few months. But the DBForm issue is a real problem because the users can get confused if they can't see the entire information.
    Regards,

Rafael M. Heise
    Joinville, SC - BR

Default Re: Migrating from 15.1 to 16.1

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael M Heise View Post
    2) We also noted the horizontal scroll bar in the grids.
    We too, as far as I can remember it is a skin issue. We had to resize grids / columns.

Regards
    We are always in a continuous learning mode, and the more we know, the more we realise that we don't know anything.

Actually we tried to remove the skin and change to another skin but this issue happened anyway.
    Regards,

Rafael M. Heise
    Joinville, SC - BR

But you tried to remove the skin (and don't put another) or you remove the skin and you put other? It is not the same!
    We are always in a continuous learning mode, and the more we know, the more we realise that we don't know anything.

I would like to add some information in the DBForm Issue.

I now can reproduce this situation in the 'Order Entry' workspace.
    I'm attaching a DBView and anyone (I guess) can see the problem.

Iif you want to reproduce it you just need to add the view in your 'Order Entry' workspace and change the 'Order Number' of some record in 'Order Entry' sample to '60120'. Then when you compile and run the 'Order Entry' you just need to open the view and look for the record that you changed the 'Order Number' using the RECNUM field in the first tab. When you find the record you can see the problem in the second page. In the second tab there are two objects showing the 'Order Number' in the first line.
    If you click in the second tab before you find the record you can't reproduce the error. If you find a another record with a small 'Order Number', changed the tab and then try to find the correct record you can't see the issue either. So you need to follow the steps.

Name:	DBFormIssue.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	4679

DBFormIssue.vw
    Regards,

Rafael M. Heise
    Joinville, SC - BR

I guess this information can be useful for someone else, so I decided to share how we solve these two problems. Both problems were solved with some help from DAB.

1) The first problem, described as a truncated information in a DBForm was fixed defining a mask to the numeric fields. After a long research we can reproduce this error in the Order Entry workspace. So we sent this to the DAB and they suggested us to define a mask in the numeric fields. This problem happened when we use a TabDialog and put some numeric field in the second page. With the mask (e.g. '######' for a field 6 digits long) the problem didn't happen anymore. So to not open all the DataDictionary files neither all the DBView/Report files we created a method in our DBForm class defining the mask when the mask is not defined yet in the DataDictionary.

2) The horizontal scroll bars were appearing not in all workstations that we've used to test. So after a conversation with DAB they commented about the Preserve Environment property and that VDF applications saves the environment sets in the registry. So we decided to try to delete these registry entries. When we deleted those all the objects back to the original sets and the horizontal scroll bars just gone. I'm not sure if it was a incompatible thing in environment sets, but we solved it anyway. By the way, someone else in Brazil reported the same problem and he said he tried to delete the registry entries but it didn't fixed the scroll bar issue for him. So, I don't know if there is something else to try to fixed the scroll bar issue.

I can share the DBView that we created in Order Entry workspace to show the first issue if somebody wish.
    Regards,

Rafael M. Heise
    Joinville, SC - BR

Somewhere in Vermont, USA - unless I'm not

Thanks for posting the fix! Always good to know.
    Garret

Time for an oldie but goodie:

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green