Thread: cWindowsEx: cStatusPanel.pkg tries to redefine global variable

Default cWindowsEx: cStatusPanel.pkg tries to redefine global variable

I have updated the cWindowsEx library from the SVN repository (http://svn.vdf-guidance.com/cWindows...nk/cWindowsEx/) I am currently using VDF 16.0.

However, I encountered a slight problem: The global variable ghoStatusPanel is defined in Statpnl.pkg (part of the VDF standard packages). However, this variable is defined again in the cWindowsEx file cStatusPanel.pkg. To make this even trickier, the file name cStatusPanel.pkg is also used in the standard VDF packages...

So what am I asking for is some light on how this should be resolved. Should the cStatusPanel class (and pkg file) that is included in cWindowsEx be renamed? Or is this by design?
    Ola Eldøy (Twitter: @olaeld) - Developer at Emma EDB AS

Default Re: cWindowsEx: cStatusPanel.pkg tries to redefine global variable

Hi Ola,

Sorry I will have to look into this later this week.
    My suggestion is to rename the cStatusPanel.pkg file into cWinStatusPanel.pkg and the global variable umm... probably insert the "Win" prefix as well as that is consistent with the rest of the project (ghoWinStatusPanel). But I'll first go and have a look and see if it is really needed and if what I am suggesting now is the best solution.

Hope this helps,
    --
    Wil

Hi Wil

Have I missed the party

I've just come across this one compiling some old code in 19.1

I'm not really looking for a direct fix but thought I would take the opportunity to ask will you be updating this library so that it does not produce any compiler 19.1 warnings ?

Thanks
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm - Winston Churchill

Hi Andrew,

I would love to, but my plate is full for the foreseeing couple of months.
    So as it is I'm not willing to add this request to my todo list.

You can try poking me again about it in a couple of months, perhaps things have calmed down by that time.
    --
    Wil

Poke
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm - Winston Churchill

mon?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pikachu_by_caridea-d3i4jd5.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	13155

Still a tad busy I'm afraid. (That's not necessarily a bad thing I'd say)

--
    Wil

As your in the mood for updating libraries ....

Andrew,

I did LOL yesterday when I saw this.
    The problem is multitude.

• I'm not really using the library myself in any of my current projects, just a few files of it here and there.
    • Upgrading the library and make it current has just become a lot more work with DataFlex 20 switching everything over to widestring
    • None of my customers use more than "just a few files here and there" and they have no problems yet (no DF20 in sight)
    • It is going to be a lot of -unpaid- work, not a few hours, we're talking days (maybe even weeks, depends on how much to upgrade).

If I have to do unpaid work, then I tend to make my own choices.

I'm afraid that the cWindowsEx library at the moment is somewhere at the bottom of the "do unpaid work" list.
    To give you an idea:
    There's The Hammer 3.0 and The Hammer 4.0 and DfRefactor that I already have enough work that I want to do. There's also a DataFlex language thing I need to get into Notepad++ before it changes too much. Then there's my own company products (mostly Vimalin).. all take time.

It's not that I don't want to work on it, the problem is that I cannot justify spending the time to get the cWindowsEx library all up to date.

Is there a specific part of the cWindowsEx library that you are having issues with?
    Is it only about this global variable?
    --
    Wil

Actually this has caused me to look at this a bit closer and I now realise it is really only vWin32fh.pkg and even within that there are now plenty of DF equivalents

We did use to use it much more but overtime there have been less and less calls to it but I had not appreciated it has now got to the point where we can probably remove it

Thanks for taking the time to look at it but it now looks like you have more time for paid work