Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unknown Database Connector Error and Windows 7

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Unknown Database Connector Error and Windows 7

I have a 14.1 Install with Crystal XI. Works great on XP, Vista, 2003.

I have 3 brand new Windows 7 systems, nothing on them, run the existing working installs on them. Everything works until you try and print a report, you get "Unknown Database Connector Error" on every single report. I installed Crystal XI Data Access version on these systems and the reports run. It's a native database.

So far, the old tricks have not worked. Seems like a problem in the DB Connectivity Kit for DA.
    Any ideas anyone?

Default Re: Unknown Database Connector Error and Windows 7

Did you try putting the connKit in the programs folder of the workspace?
    David Martinko
    978-394-8308

Yes, tried it in several folders now including programs, same error, unknown database connector.
    What interesting is that the applications opens the RPT to see what files are included to determine what selections can and cannot be made, no errors. You only get the error when you actually run the report to screen or to printer. Went back and tested new application 15.1 installed on XP, no errors. Just Windows 7, same app from scratch on a brand new system. I have 3 Windows 7 systems exhibiting the same error in the same way. Everything else is flawless.

Somewhere in Vermont, USA - unless I'm not

Quote Originally Posted by salesnav View Post
    Yes, tried it in several folders now including programs, same error, unknown database connector.
    What interesting is that the applications opens the RPT to see what files are included to determine what selections can and cannot be made, no errors. You only get the error when you actually run the report to screen or to printer. Went back and tested new application 15.1 installed on XP, no errors. Just Windows 7, same app from scratch on a brand new system. I have 3 Windows 7 systems exhibiting the same error in the same way. Everything else is flawless.
    If it works on XP & not on 7 I'd suspect permissions. Win 7 locks things down much tighter than XP. For example, Program Files is off limits. Make sure everything is in a place available to all users, all the time & one that is not virtualized.
    Garret

Time for an oldie but goodie:

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Hi Garrett, I appreciate the response, but I checked and gave full control to this folder and everything under it to this user with no changes. Does anyone have Windows 7 working with 15.1 VDF and Crystal X1? Was there anything different you had to do?

In this case, absoultely nothing was changed from a standard XP, Vista, and 2003 installation except Windows 7. Absolutely everything works except for this unknown database connector error. Even crystal XI opens up these reports and runs fine. It's just opening the reports from inside an application. Was there a pkg change, update. I'm running all 14.1 packages and recompiled uisng 15.1.

Somewhere in Vermont, USA - unless I'm not

Hi Garrett, I appreciate the response, but I checked and gave full control to this folder and everything under it to this user with no changes. Does anyone have Windows 7 working with 15.1 VDF and Crystal X1? Was there anything different you had to do?

In this case, absoultely nothing was changed from a standard XP, Vista, and 2003 installation except Windows 7. Absolutely everything works except for this unknown database connector error. Even crystal XI opens up these reports and runs fine. It's just opening the reports from inside an application. Was there a pkg change, update. I'm running all 14.1 packages and recompiled uisng 15.1.
    Nope - installed stuff normally & it all worked. 14.1, 15, 15.1 & CR XI Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
    Garret

Time for an oldie but goodie:

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Still working on this, but I've discovered that this works fine on a SQL install with Mertech Drivers on Windows 7. Seems to be only with a Native dataflex database. And thanks Garrett, at least I know it's fixable. I wish the error was a little more descriptive though. I'm guessing some DLL that comes with everything but Windows 7. Still digging, but as yet unsuccessful. Another mystery to solve, what joy.

Still working on this, but I've discovered that this works fine on a SQL install with Mertech Drivers on Windows 7. Seems to be only with a Native dataflex database. And thanks Garrett, at least I know it's fixable. I wish the error was a little more descriptive though. I'm guessing some DLL that comes with everything but Windows 7. Still digging, but as yet unsuccessful. Another mystery to solve, what joy.
    Have you tried installing Order Entry Sample app. and testing it's Crystal Reports?

• If they work I'd say there is something within your own app. that's the cause of the problem.
    • If it doesn't the problem most likely lies with your crystal xi runtime and database connectivity installer.
    Kind regards,

Clive Richmond
    Triumph Business Systems Pty Ltd
    www.triumph.com.au

Yes, I did, here's what's making this difficult. I installed the dev system, order sample and CR reports work, I installed the entire app WS on the Windows 7 system, reports work, it's not the code.

Took everything off again after making notes of every dll and documentation and compared bin folders, other folders, even tried reregistering dlls. This works EVERYTIME in every other OS besides 7. Still gives me this "Unknown Database Connector" error which tells me zip.

Crystal XI runs fine by itself.

I have Windows 7 systems with SQL that work fine.

Put simply, this is a connectivity kit problem and something that this new version of Windows 7 from Dell leaves out? (I'm guessing here) Something from the merge modules maybe? It only affects the native database, not sql. I'm using Installshield 2010 express and the same merge modules I used before that DA supplies. No other way to install now with XI.

I have 5 Windows 7 systems with this error, all you get is "Unknown Database Connector" I'm guessing the p2bdfap.dll files are what it's referring to. It launches the Crystal report screen, but just before it accesses the data, you get unknown database connector error. The report stays up without data when you press ok on the error.

Thanks, I'm getting frustrated. Spent way too much time on this already.

Yes, I did, here's what's making this difficult. I installed the dev system, order sample and CR reports work, I installed the entire app WS on the Windows 7 system, reports work, it's not the code.

Took everything off again after making notes of every dll and documentation and compared bin folders, other folders, even tried reregistering dlls. This works EVERYTIME in every other OS besides 7. Still gives me this "Unknown Database Connector" error which tells me zip.

Crystal XI runs fine by itself.

I have Windows 7 systems with SQL that work fine.

Put simply, this is a connectivity kit problem and something that this new version of Windows 7 from Dell leaves out? (I'm guessing here) Something from the merge modules maybe? It only affects the native database, not sql. I'm using Installshield 2010 express and the same merge modules I used before that DA supplies. No other way to install now with XI.

I have 5 Windows 7 systems with this error, all you get is "Unknown Database Connector" I'm guessing the p2bdfap.dll files are what it's referring to. It launches the Crystal report screen, but just before it accesses the data, you get unknown database connector error. The report stays up without data when you press ok on the error.

Thanks, I'm getting frustrated. Spent way too much time on this already.
    Just so I'm absolutely clear.

• Installing the VDF 15.1 Studio (development system), plus CRXI designer (devlopement system), plus the Connectivity Kit (11.0.0.69). Then the Order Entry sample's crystal reports work on your Windows 7 PC.
    • Installing the VDF 15.1 Client (runtime system), plus CR XI runtime (via you own install), plus the Connectivity Kit (11.0.0.69), and manually copying across the Order Entry sample workspace. Then on your Windows 7 PC the Order Entry sample's crystal reports fail.

Assuming I have understood this correctly then my bet is still on the CR XI and Connectivity Kit (CK) install. We currently have two CR XI runtime installs, including the merge modules and the CK driver, using InstallShield X. One install is based on CR XI SP3 merged modules, the other SP4 merged modules, plus the CK 11.0.0.69 . Todate we have not encountered the problem you've described on either Windows 7 32 or Windows 64 bit.
    Kind regards,

Clive Richmond
    Triumph Business Systems Pty Ltd
    www.triumph.com.au

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast