That is the question.

This is a post I originally made in another forum & Dennis suggested I move it here. So - here it is:

Originally Posted by Dennis Piccioni
As the [OpLocks White] paper states, for all of these management and performance issues, we recommend using a client-server database for multi-user DataFlex applications on Windows networks. This eliminates the need for worrying about oplocks and ensuring the settings are always just right and typically solves any network performance issues.

SQL databases also have lots of other nice features, like automated backups while the database is running, replication, full text search, etc.

I (probably like many other developers) have been using the embedded db for 25+ years. Of course that creates a tremendous comfort factor - working with what you know.

I'd like to switch folks over to some flavor of SQL (& I am familiar with SQL Server & VB - so I have some comfort there) - whether it be SQL Server, Express or MySQL. Doing so has issues for me. First is what I see in various posts about how there are problems with drivers (the Uppercase issue is a recent one). I need to know that my connection to the backend will work correctly without a lot of fussing/worrying/stressing on my part.

Second is cost: SQL express is free, but limited. The client still must add the connectivity kit cost though. MS SQL Server ain't cheap for a client that just misses being able to use SQL Express - as they must buy both the MS licenses & the connectivity kit upgrade. MySQL is inexpensive, but one must buy the Mertech drivers.

So - say you have a client with 20 users (I'll admit, this is a real world example & they have a 20 user VDF client license). Going from the embedded db to MS Sql Server (they're on SBS, so they already have SQL Server) will cost them roughly (US $):

$400 Conn. Kit + 100 a year subscription
$1200 MS CAL
$500-1000 my time

So - a total of $2000 - $2500

If the client didn't already have SQL Server - add $500

For a company with a $10,000/year upgrade/fix/enhance budget that eats up 20-25% for the whole year.

MySQl might be cheaper - by maybe $500?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a big chunk for a lot of people. I realize many VDF developers have much larger clients, but I bet there are a lot who are in a very similar situation.

I'm not saying there has to be an answer, except that maybe if DAW is serious about getting people to switch to client/server, they need to look at making it more affordable. Remember that Visual Studio not only has no runtime/client licensing, but native connection to SQL Server is included at no extra charge.

Maybe client licenses that are large enough to need client server (>10?) should include the connectivity kit?

OK - I'll stop & get back to work - before I start going into VDF for Linux & how it might help take care of the issue (plus some others).....