Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Update to 'Opportunistic Locking and Read Caching on Microsoft Windows Networks' white paper published

Somewhere in Vermont, USA - unless I'm not

Default Re: Update to 'Opportunistic Locking and Read Caching on Microsoft Windows Networks' white paper published

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Worsley View Post
    From the white paper, do I see a conflict between these two statements? Sorry, just trying to get it straight...
    Me too....

Disabling oplocks will have a performance impact on any database application, whether an ISAM database or client/server database is used (but will not affect the data integrity of any database).
    This now has me baffled. The part in parens (to my little brain) contradicts what the whole white paper is about.

Shouldn't it be:

but will not affect the data integrity of any client/server database

???
    Garret

Time for an oldie but goodie:

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Default Re: Update to 'Opportunistic Locking and Read Caching on Microsoft Windows Networks' white paper published

Maybe I need to rephrase that whole section of the paper.

Current:

Disabling oplocks will have a performance impact on any database application, whether an ISAM database or client/server database is used (but will not affect the data integrity of any database).

This paper will tell you how to disable oplocks, but due to the reasons stated above, Data Access Worldwide recommends using a client-server database for multi-user DataFlex applications on Windows networks.

Oplocks do not apply to client-server databases. DAW makes no specific recommendation on oplocks if you use a client server database and no embedded database tables.

Revised:

Disabling oplocks may have a performance impact on Windows networks.

Oplocks do not apply to client-server databases. DAW makes no specific recommendation on oplocks if you use a client server database and no embedded database tables.

This paper will tell you how to disable oplocks, but due to the reasons stated above, Data Access Worldwide recommends using a client-server database for multi-user DataFlex applications on Windows networks.

Somewhere in Vermont, USA - unless I'm not

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Piccioni View Post
    Maybe I need to rephrase that whole section of the paper.

Current:

Revised:

Disabling oplocks may have a performance impact on Windows networks.

I think that's more better....
    Garret

Time for an oldie but goodie:

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123