PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Studio

MrHalland
1-Dec-2022, 09:56 AM
I am running the DF Studio 2022 in dark mode, which is not ideal in some cases.

When using line-numbers and add the option to set the current line to bold, you hardly see that it's bold.

Right click on a method and select, Locate in code explorer, you hardly see it's selected until you click in the code explorer window (make it active)

When debugging, tables, it would be nice if the tables where in alphabetical order, also, that the don't move around when the data is updated. (Remember if they are expanded and what field is currently selected)

Neet thing to have in the studio, sort of a real time compilation.

If there is unused local variables, show them as warnings, that way they can easily be removed
There is possible other things that could be checked before compiling. Ie a call to a method that possible does not exist.

Garret Mott
1-Dec-2022, 10:45 AM
I don't use dark mode, but I couldn't agree more on your tables suggestions. Having them shuffle (reorder) & close up at each break point is annoying & a time waster - especially in a view that has 20+ tables. Not having them change order would be my #1 priority.

DaveR
1-Dec-2022, 11:16 AM
+1 on unused local variables.

Samuel Pizarro
1-Dec-2022, 12:20 PM
I would go a bit further!!!

have an option to load just few tables to be shown.

in a big system, (100+ tables) is doesn’t makes any sense having all of them loaded and being tracked.

most of the times you are interesting is seeing only a few subtset. 6 or 10 I would say.

so an option to remove all tables, and only add the ones you are interested in would be nice.

besides of course kepping the treeview state untouched!

Mike Peat
1-Dec-2022, 12:27 PM
Oh +1 to that! :)

Mike

Bob Worsley
1-Dec-2022, 01:59 PM
+1
That has long been complained about and was supposedly addressed a few revisions back but seems to have either reverted or wasn't fixed.

Vincent Oorsprong
2-Dec-2022, 03:10 AM
Samuel,

The DataFlex Studio contains a filter option for the list of tables. Don't know for sure when it was added but I would say 10 years back.

Garret Mott
2-Dec-2022, 07:19 AM
Vincent - where is the filter option set?

Mike Peat
2-Dec-2022, 07:35 AM
Nope - I can't find it either, and I've looked pretty hard 'coz I'm keen to use it.

Stephen W. Meeley
2-Dec-2022, 08:07 AM

https://docs.dataaccess.com/dataflexhelp/mergedProjects/Tools/TableExplorerFilters_dlg.htm

Garret Mott
2-Dec-2022, 08:21 AM
That I know - we're talking about the Tables pane when debugging - well at least I am.

Mike Peat
2-Dec-2022, 08:25 AM
Stephen

Yes, I knew about that one. What (I thought! :confused:) we were talking about is the Tables debugger window:

Mike

Garret Mott
2-Dec-2022, 09:13 AM
OK - so that's 2 of us at least... ;)

Marco
2-Dec-2022, 05:56 PM
Me too, the debugger file list is soooo annoying, have reported this several times. Must be really hard to fix…

Samuel Pizarro
2-Dec-2022, 06:30 PM
I am too! Debugging is what matters!

Bob Worsley
3-Dec-2022, 02:50 PM
Martin,
If you want to check unused variables in the Studio, go to vdf-guidance.com and download the Unused variable application on the Software menu.

Compile it under any DF version up to and including 20.1

In the Studio go to the Tools menu and open the Configure Tools Menu option.

Add the following line, point the "Command" to wherever you have ReportUnusedLocals.exe, include full path and file name even if in the same workspace.

<file> is a Studio replacement tag for the name of the current source code being worked on.

In the source code you're editing, choose the "Unused Variables" option in your Tools Menu to check for unused variables. ReportUnusedLocals.exe will pop up with any unused variables which you can use to find and delete in your code. Sorry, it won't remove them for you but this is the next best thing.

Vincent Oorsprong
5-Dec-2022, 05:51 AM
Marco.

I am sorry but I can't find any suggestion about this in HDE or JIRA. It must have slipped through in logging.

I will log this suggestion now.

Edgard
6-Feb-2023, 09:36 AM
Hi,

Enjoying the topic . . .

I used the feature in DF20.1 (32 bits) and added the features:

1) Removal of unused variable.
2) Fixed a bug - Broken commands, with multiple lines separated by: ( ; )
3) Preserves comment lines.
4) The original source is renamed: xxx_BAK.xx

Known and unfixed bug:
Program aborts in some cases, when source in OEM.
Just save in Studio, converting to UTF.

Follow my return in thanks for the post.

+1 this could be a future wish for Studio.

Best Regards,

Edgard Luis Paneque

Bob Worsley
6-Feb-2023, 11:19 AM
Hi Edgard,
Did you look at the View menu in the Unused Variables app?

Edgard
6-Feb-2023, 01:40 PM
Now I looked :rolleyes:

I misunderstood your words:

. . . Sorry, it won't remove them for you but this is the next best thing. . .

No problem, now you have two cleaning options :o

Regards,

Edgard