PDA

View Full Version : Global_variable help

DaveR
30-May-2022, 01:33 PM
reads...

Global VariablesThis section describes some important global variables that are built into DataFlex for various purposes. They are listed alphabetically.
See Also: Global Variables (https://docs.dataaccess.com/dataflexhelp/mergedProjects/LanguageGuide/Global_Variables.htm), Global_Variable command (https://docs.dataaccess.com/dataflexhelp/mergedProjects/LanguageReference/Global_Variable_command.htm)
E-Mail us suggested improvements for this Topic

(support@dataaccess.com?subject=Suggested%20Improv ement%20for%20DataFlex%20Documentation&body=This%20topic%20can%20be%20improved%3A%20https %3A//docs.dataaccess.com/dataflexhelp/mergedProjects/LanguageReference/Global_Variables.htm):confused:

Dennis Piccioni
31-May-2022, 12:05 PM
Hi Dave,

well, I'm going to guess what your question is since you didn't ask one...

Click the Locate button in the help to have the TOC expand and list the variable the topic discusses. This is used all over the DataFlex doc and worked great in the Windows help.

Unfortunately, the online help isn't very good about this, so we'll probably have to start adding links to all of the topics on such pages.

DaveR
31-May-2022, 06:50 PM
Hi Dave,

well, I'm going to guess what your question is since you didn't ask one...

Click the Locate button in the help to have the TOC expand and list the variable the topic discusses. This is used all over the DataFlex doc and worked great in the Windows help.

Unfortunately, the online help isn't very good about this, so we'll probably have to start adding links to all of the topics on such pages.

:confused: is shorthand for 'assume the TWO most likely questions...' :cool:

That is what I expected to happen but it didn't work for me either with local help (the locate tab does nuttin'. Might help need a reindex?)

I also didn't see, or couldn't work out, the equivalent of 'locate' in online help, though, for me, on line help is so slow I might just have given up when I tried.

Only have 20.1 on this box so haven't checked previous incarnations.

Marcia Booth
1-Jun-2022, 07:34 AM
Hi Dave,

In the online help, if you find something using the Search or Index tabs, click on the page you want to see and then switch to the Table of Contents tab - that should take you to the page you clicked on showing it within the TOC.

15451 15452

The local help seems to get confused sometimes because two pages have the same name; the only difference is the book where they are located:
C:\Program%20Files\DataFlex%2020.0\Help\LanguageRe ference.chm::/Global_Variables.htm
C:\Program%20Files\DataFlex%2020.0\Help\LanguageGu ide.chm::/Global_Variables.htm

If you double-click on the search results in the local help and then click on Locate, you should be taken to the TOC but may see different tree branches expand (I used DF 20.0 and 20.1) :

DaveR
1-Jun-2022, 01:48 PM

okay, thanks, people. Both methods now work well enough for me.