PDA

View Full Version : Any place to obtain Dataflex install files or 3.5 diskettes for DOS computers?

oharamj
25-Apr-2022, 08:23 PM
Can anyone point me to a source to purchase, download, obtain 3.5 diskettes of Dataflex for DOS computers, maybe circa 1990 or thereabouts? Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Bob Worsley
25-Apr-2022, 09:58 PM
some of that, maybe all, is available on the DAW ftp site

Dennis Piccioni
26-Apr-2022, 10:25 AM
Hi,

what version of DataFlex are you looking for?

oharamj
26-Apr-2022, 09:26 PM
Well, Im not sure. Back in around 1990 another programmer and I were working together on developing a system. Im pretty sure it was an MS DOS-based computer with whichever DOS version was current at the time. Im taking a little trip back in time and going to set up a DOS PC. Now that I am retired, I would like to install the relevant Dataflex and play with it. Thanks.

Hi,

what version of DataFlex are you looking for?

Marco
27-Apr-2022, 01:52 AM
The 3.2 dos version is still available via your regional channel on special request.
What region/country are you located?

Ianv
28-Apr-2022, 04:57 AM
Are you aware that you can get the latest version of Dataflex with a free Personal use licence. This would be much easier to use and learn than a 1990 version and would allow you to create both Windows and Web applications.
Ian

Michael Mullan
28-Apr-2022, 10:12 AM
Yah, but DF20.1 won't run on dos, now will it? I read their post as a trip down memory lane... Not a burnign need to rebuild an app from 1992 for use today....

Edgard
2-May-2022, 05:50 AM
I agree, that a personal license in the current version is much more pleasant to work with.

Travel . . .

I would recommend buying a boat.
If you're sick like me, choose a Harley.

Anyway, a dream is a dream. . .

I have 3.05c disks.
I don't know if my drives and disks still work. . .
Maybe dusting. . .
A head cleaning. . .
It's no use if DAW doesn't authorize, (I believe, that won't be).
Do you have a registration code for this version?
It would be much worse for me to provide my registration code.
I don't think, that DAW would generate one for you in such an old version.

Regards,

Edgard Luis Paneque

Dennis Piccioni
2-May-2022, 08:00 AM
If you contact sales, we may be able to look up your license by the registration or license name.

oharamj
5-May-2022, 10:09 PM
Yah, but DF20.1 won't run on dos, now will it? I read their post as a trip down memory lane... Not a burnign need to rebuild an app from 1992 for use today....

Thats exactly right. I just wanted to play around with it a bit after all these years.

I have no idea how to find the ftp site.

Mike Peat
6-May-2022, 01:43 AM
The FTP site used to be ftp://ftp.dataacces.com (with the useful bits then being then under "/pub"), but I don't think it exists any more.

Mike

Dennis Piccioni
6-May-2022, 09:25 AM
It's all on FTPS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTPS) now.

1. Download an FTP client (I use the excellent, free, open source FileZilla (https://filezilla-project.org/download.php))
2. Type ftps.dataaccess.com into the Host form
3. Press Enter

Now you can navigate the public portions of our FTP server.

However, DataFlex 3.2 is the oldest version available for download (in /products/dataflex/Software/CharacterMode).

If you are looking for an older version, you may be out of luck.

Garret Mott
6-May-2022, 10:45 AM
3.2 will compile & run 2.3 code - so it should work, no?

Dennis Piccioni
6-May-2022, 11:37 AM
Yes it should, plus code is just plain text, so you can view and edit it in any editor.

Vincent Oorsprong
9-May-2022, 08:38 AM
Garret,

It will but there are differences in execution and 3.2 is Y2K compliant while 3.2b isn't.

Mike Peat
9-May-2022, 09:11 AM
DF v3.2b? New one on me! ;)

Vincent Oorsprong
10-May-2022, 02:01 AM
Mike,

While it is a typo there was - not officially labeled - a update to 3.2 which you could label 3.2b.

Mike Peat
10-May-2022, 02:16 AM
:)