PDA

View Full Version : DBBldr Load DEF offers file # 252

DaveR
9-Apr-2022, 09:05 AM
... and then warns against using it, so why offer it? That has bugged me since the filelist was expanded.

When I chicken out and don't use 252, I have to close the dialog to look for an empty filelist slot.

Why not offer a a drop-down list of the file numbers taken, on a separate button if need be? Or even, generate a sellist with the empty slots available for selection.

DBB in some form is here for the duration.

Vincent Oorsprong
11-Apr-2022, 02:23 AM
Dave,

I checked with DataFlex 2022 and a load def file defaults to the first available slot in the filelist and not to 252. Maybe your filelist is full up to 251? The warning itself is very clear to me and we leave it for you to decide what to do. We cannot block access to the reserved area as there might be a good reason to use these slots.

BTW: Haven't used load def for at least 10 years... thought is was obsolete since v17.

Garret Mott
11-Apr-2022, 05:30 AM
I used it Saturday - worked great.

I think what Dave is saying is not to disallow using it, just to not default to it if it's the 1st open slot.

Vincent Oorsprong
11-Apr-2022, 06:43 AM
Garret,

I will log that as a suggestion.

Garret Mott
11-Apr-2022, 07:39 AM
Thank you sir!

DaveR
11-Apr-2022, 04:17 PM
Thank you sir!

thank you for the Scouse to Dutch translation service... :cool:

But it's the second bit I'd really like. When I create a new file I often want to see what file numbers the sister files have, how I styled the names and file descriptions (Did I call it rcvtrans or rectrans, or recvtran or rcvtxn?) So a more informative selector would be useful.

And it would work for the studio create new table too!

Garret Mott
11-Apr-2022, 05:52 PM
I too like to keep child tables next to parents, etc. Yes, I know many say that filelist #'s are outdated & don't matter, but with the default sorting by them (&, I must admit, old habits) I still try to do so. Because of that, I scout the filelist in advance & decide where I want to put the new file(s). Yep - paper & pen(cil) - old fashioned, but it works. :)