PDA

View Full Version : Studio Find Dialog

DaveR
19-Nov-2021, 12:15 PM
Any chance of having the find dialog have an option to show results expanded? (probably not :confused:)

gah wrong newsgroup, please move it and THEN say no :cool:

Dennis Piccioni
19-Nov-2021, 02:51 PM
Hi Dave,

show results expanded how?

Michael Mullan
19-Nov-2021, 04:23 PM
it's summarized by file, If you're code-reviewing you want to actually look at every line you find. so you have a lot of little + boxes to click the one "Expand all" button on the toolbar.

DaveR
22-Nov-2021, 10:22 AM
it's summarized by file, If you're code-reviewing you want to actually look at every line you find. so you have a lot of little + boxes to click the one "Expand all" button on the toolbar.

Yeah I know. (Though when unexpanded the list starts at the top, when expanded it finishes at the bottom instead of realigning to the top - another minor gripe) .

Actually, rethinking, I need a 'search within results', rather than what I asked for, or simple AND or OR logic in the 'text to find'. Hell, I'll even learn REGEX again if that's an option.

Dennis Piccioni
22-Nov-2021, 11:38 AM
Click on the window and press Home to get back to the top fast.

Mike Peat
22-Nov-2021, 11:55 AM
I'll even learn REGEX

Wow! You really are desperate! ;)

Dennis Piccioni
22-Nov-2021, 12:02 PM
:p

Michael Mullan
22-Nov-2021, 01:55 PM
the thing about finding at the bottom, and moving up, is that the rest of the references are still right, even if you've added or removed a line as you go. Say you're converting if (foo) DoThis into

if (foo) begin
Do this
End

you push all subsequent references DOWN and licking on the list pops out at the wrong place, working down to up means you don't have to keep re-running the search to get the links to line up again.

DaveR
23-Nov-2021, 07:59 AM
Wow! You really are desperate! ;) you missed out the key word 'AGAIN'. I once learned just enough REGEX to get me into trouble, and just enough to know to avoid it.

chuckatkinson
22-Dec-2021, 09:44 AM
How hard would it be to add a checkbox option for the finding to exclude the search term in comments?

Marco
22-Dec-2021, 04:12 PM
I would Love a ‘only search within method’

I’ve inherited code with sometimes 250 or so lines in a method. It would be soo awesome if the find dialog would be ‘provided by the studio’ the line numbers it should stay between!

I would do a dance on the podium at the next synergy to get that!!!

Vincent Oorsprong
23-Dec-2021, 04:11 AM
Marco.

AFAIK the used editor does not have this functionality.

DaveR
23-Dec-2021, 08:06 AM
Any chance of having the find dialog have an option to show results expanded? (probably not :confused:)

gah wrong newsgroup, please move it and THEN say no :cool:

anyway. Scrub that.

if I can't search with Logical ANDs and ORs (Please Santa...) the REAL killer feature would be TWO FIND LISTS (which is probably better than ANDs etc)

(Find in Files for regex
Multiple find lists everywhere)