PDA

View Full Version : Text Editor

Mike Cooper
22-Sep-2021, 10:45 AM
For years I have used MultiEdit when editting files outside of DF. It seems to have finally reached the end (I can't get it to license on my new computer). What does everybody else use? I was thinking of maybe Notepad++ but never really used it. What I liked about MultiEdit is its ability to markup code from different language and source files.

Mike

Garret Mott
22-Sep-2021, 10:54 AM
Notepad++ IIRC, Wil put together a DF language file for it.

Dennis Piccioni
22-Sep-2021, 11:09 AM
I remember using the character mode version of MultiEdit for years, even before working at DAC. Like Garret, I use Notepad++ now.

DaveR
22-Sep-2021, 12:22 PM

I have a vague recollection that one exists, though I don't see if on my current machine.

I like Notepad++ cos I have a charmode compilation script that runs in it. With a 32 bit VM and notepad++ I don't have to keep that nasty old ASUS box sitting outside my office for DF3.2 compilations.

wila
22-Sep-2021, 12:42 PM

It was a bit more than that, I added full DataFlex support including things like collapse support.
https://support.dataaccess.com/Forums/showthread.php?64473-NotePad-native-DataFlex-support

I think that Marco create a DF language file for it?

Looking at github I see a VDF language file from Bernhard Veit.
https://github.com/notepad-plus-plus/userDefinedLanguages/blob/master/udl-list.md

The advantage of only using a language file is that it will work with the latest version of Notepad++ whereas my DataFlex extension is so low level that it requires you to use a specific version from Notepad++ (see above post)

--
Wil

Mike Cooper
22-Sep-2021, 01:28 PM
Thanks everybody!

Here I go... off to a new adventure then.

Bob Worsley
22-Sep-2021, 01:33 PM
I guess I'm in the minority, I like Ultraedit. Been using it for a number of years, lots of features...

Garret Mott
22-Sep-2021, 01:53 PM
I knew you'd done something... ;)

Mark Powers
23-Sep-2021, 09:35 AM
I had the same problem a couple of months ago. I was finally able to find my old key and enter it to get it to work, I also contacted my bank and had them refund me the money. Shortly after that I did finally get an e-mail from the ME tech support and say I should of received the registration automatically. I had sent 3 or 4 e-mail to them about it prior. So, I did finally get ME running on a new computer, but I think you are correct, ME might be very near it's end.
Mark

Mike Cooper
23-Sep-2021, 09:55 AM
I know he went through some tough times several years ago after a divorce but I don't think he was even in business any more.

Mark Powers
23-Sep-2021, 10:50 AM
I still use ME for windows every day, probably been using ME for over 25 years! If you wait or send enough message, you might get a response.
Mark

Mike Cooper
23-Sep-2021, 11:44 AM
Thanks Mark. I might just do that. I too use it everyday

Michael Mullan
23-Sep-2021, 12:15 PM
I did it for you, I just forwarded you his reply...

:-)

Mike Cooper
23-Sep-2021, 02:45 PM
Thanks Michael ... I received that from you :)