PDA

View Full Version : AWS Workspaces

Bob Worsley
4-Jun-2021, 08:39 PM
Question #1 - Is AWS Workspaces a DAW supported environment for DataFlex?
Question #2 - Is anyone actively using AWS Workspaces?

I'm asking these questions because my customer is using AWS Workspaces in a production environment. For the most part it works quite well, relatively the same speed as with local servers and no glaring problems except for one. In a recent thread (https://support.dataaccess.com/Forums/showthread.php?67004-Strange-problem-on-AWS) I outlined a problem that we have been having where exiting our main DF program would 99% of the time throw Windows errors. Since this only happens when exiting we kind of put it on the back burner in favor of more pressing issues.

We recently installed the DF examples on an AWS Workspace and surprise! We found that the order entry example with the embedded db throws the exact same errors as described in the previous thread. All we need to do to see the errors is:

Run the Order Entry executable - don't need the Studio
Find an order
Make a change using any combobox - simply select a new "ship via" in the order view or the state in the customer view.
Save
Exit the application

I can change any other field in either of the above views and no exit errors but if I change any comboform Voila! I get the errors when I exit the program.

Can anyone else verify this?

The errors:

Stephen W. Meeley
7-Jun-2021, 04:59 PM
Bob,

We haven't done any testing with AWS Workspaces, but will look into this. A couple of questions...

Are the instances PCoIP or WSP?
How was DataFlex installed?

What installer
What location(s)
What license (serial number will do)

Bob Worsley
7-Jun-2021, 07:36 PM
Stephen,

I think this answers your questions. In addition, the AWS workspace is running on a Windows Edition of the Server 2016 Datacenter.

Are the instances PCoIP or WSP? PCoIP
How was DataFlex installed?

What installer DataFlex 2019 Client 19.1.58.159
What location(s) C:\Program Files (x86)\DataFlex 19.1
What license (serial number will do) 410200

Bob Worsley
8-Aug-2021, 08:45 AM
Stephen,
Any progress on this? Up until now I haven't had the occasion to run dbExplor in this environment but just did and even that throws these errors.

Stephen W. Meeley
8-Aug-2021, 03:17 PM
Bob,

There is definitely an issue with Amazon Workspaces. There seems to be some kind of incompatibility with Workspaces and CodeJock controls. We reproduced it taking DataFlex completely out of the equation and still see the problem. We also reproduced it using the latest CJ components, so it's not just an issue with the older 18.3 components we use in 19.x and 20.0.

We're going to see if we can help CodeJock (and/or Amazon) figure it out, but it's not something we can solve ourselves. Until then, we have to consider Amazon Workspaces unsupported (incompatible). Note that this does not impact any of the standard AWS instances, only Workspaces.

Bob Worsley
8-Aug-2021, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the update Stephen. One of my customers has been using Workspaces in a production environment for several months now and that's the only problem that they've encountered.